Find the answer to your Linux question:
While searching for which side of the road they drive on in several different countries, I ran across this interesting link earlier tonight: Which Side Of The Road To Drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Driving: left side vs right side

While searching for which side of the road they drive on in several different countries, I ran across this interesting link earlier tonight:

Which Side Of The Road To Drive On? Left Or Right, Country By Country Around The World

It turns out there are far more countries with left side drivers than I had previously realized. You can scroll up the page for some interesting history about why they drive on one side or the other in different countries.

Have any of you gone to a country where they drive on the side opposite of what you are familiar with and then tried driving there? If so, how did it go?
    oz

Being a Biker Oz. I just split traffic when needed. Never went overseas (on motorcycle) and in Canada and Mexico their road rules are the same as ours.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Being a Biker Oz. I just split traffic when needed. Never went overseas (on motorcycle) and in Canada and Mexico their road rules are the same as ours.
    Hey there, rok!

It's been quite some time since I last rode a bike, but I do remember liking all that extra space within my lane of travel when riding one. After getting hit by a car that ran a stop sign, then a few months later a truck that rear ended me, I decided to give up bikes fearing that the next accident might kill me. Of course, I had my share of slip and slides that involved only the bike and me.

This all happened when I lived in Kermit, fairly near to where you currently live.
    oz

I'm used to keep the right side. Everytime I go to the UK with my car I have to adapt to their way of driving and I assure you, that is not a pleasure. Besides risking to find yourself on the wrong side of the road their are some more differences. it makes me feel fatigued. Anyway, when I am back on the mainland that feels as a relieve to me and I can drive relaxed again.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I am used to keeping left. Its the driving system in Southern Africa (probably a legacy of British colonialism) and in the UK.

hit by a car that ran a stop sign
    same here=elpaso,Tx. Split Mag Wheels down the middle. Bent the frame and forks. That one hurt me.

truck that rear ended me
    LOL. Twice for me. Once in LA, Calif and once by my wife when we were dating and she was following me in her PU Truck in elpaso,Tx. I stopped at the light and she did not. It did not tear me up too much bouncing off the windsheild. Tore up my Bike more than me.

Still Puttin along though. If I had to drive on left side of road. I'd probably end up like Thomas Edward Lawrence did on his Brough Superior SS100 (fine scooter).
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

So far a Biker I am, but here we drive Right side, never went overseas so no comments.

Linux Newbie
    I'm always on the wrong side <,<

Drive on the left ... driven on the right when on holiday a few times ...
    it takes a bit of getting used to ...

I spend the first couple of days trying to change gear with the window winder! and once tried to sit on my wife's lap when I got back in the passenger side after putting fuel in the car

All driving outside the UK for me has been in a hire car with the steering wheel on the correct side for driving, otherwise I am sure I would end up going down the wrong side of the road.

After 2 weeks driving on the right I find it difficult to adjust to driving on the left again ... must be lots of accidents around airports

Linux Newbie
    reminds me... I keep wanting to import a tuner so I can go to a drive-through backwards.