Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Debian Testing now includes Chromium (the open version of Google's Chrome) so I installed it to try it out. On the whole, I like it. It loads really fast (especially ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs down I like Chromium but...

Debian Testing now includes Chromium (the open version of Google's Chrome) so I installed it to try it out. On the whole, I like it. It loads really fast (especially compared with Firefox/Iceweasel) and looks cool. It manages passwords like Firefox and I can use it on sites that don't accept Kazehakase. I was a bit puzzled by the apparent lack of a search box but discovered that you are supposed to use the address bar for that.

So far, so good. But no AddAware and no NoScript. No chance of that because apparently the Chrome family of browsers don't support plug-ins. You can enable or disable javascript on a per-site basis, but when you do enable it, you also enable any included frames from advertisers, etc. This is not good.

A great pity!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Right... I've tried Chromium dozens of times but can't stick with it for more than a few hours before having to change back to Firefox. I'll keep trying it now and then just in case it should get better, though.
    oz

I now use Chrome/Chromium as my default browsers on all operating systems.

I haven't a clue what version you are using, but the latest stable (9.0.something) version supports extensions (and it has for quite a while). Just type in
    Code:
    chrome://extensions
    to get to the extensions page, and the so called "app store" where you get your extensions is https://chrome.google.com/webstore.

I have quite a few extensions running, most notably adblock.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Chromium can use Chrome extensions. Here is Ad Block. Here is a No Script equivalent
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Chromium can use Chrome extensions. Here is Ad Block. Here is a No Script equivalent
    Adblock+ is now on chrome
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ibdccddilifddb

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    That's way better than the ad block extension. Thanks
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Apparently using the Chrome browser from a linux distro (Zorin for example) doesn't install java correctly so that Pogo games will play. If you install the Firefox browser in that distro, then pogo plays just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtravelere View Post
    Apparently using the Chrome browser from a linux distro (Zorin for example) doesn't install java correctly so that Pogo games will play. If you install the Firefox browser in that distro, then pogo plays just fine.
    I have never had a java problem in chrome, but then again I always install and use the Sun JDK in any distro I use.

You can type:
    Code:
    chrome://plugins
    to see which java plugin your chrome install is using.

Remember, Chrome and Chromium aren't the same thing, but they are very close. Google makes tweaks for the official Google Chrome browser. I can usually make Chromium do anything I want in linux though.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I've been using Chrome 9.0.597.94 on my Ubuntu Lucid now for about a month. It took me two times before I realized how well it acutally runs. I have bounced back to firefox just to see the difference and it doesn't take me long to go back to Chrome. The sites load much faster than fox. I don't recall any problems that I had from the beginning. I am running a 2.7MHz with 2G ram.

--ray--

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    I have never had a java problem in chrome, but then again I always install and use the Sun JDK in any distro I use.

You can type:
    Code:
    chrome://plugins
    to see which java plugin your chrome install is using.
    In linux - Zorin I checked the plugins for the Chrome browser and there is a listing for Sun Java. Pogo still will not play however. Using Firefox Pogo does just fine so the problem seems to lie with the Chrome browser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast