Find the answer to your Linux question:
I went into a lighting shop today to buy a new low-energy globe bulb and saw in one of their catalogues "Linux Light Silver-Grey Track". Greatly intrigued, I looked it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

And now (believe it or not) Linux track lighting!

I went into a lighting shop today to buy a new low-energy globe bulb and saw in one of their catalogues "Linux Light Silver-Grey Track". Greatly intrigued, I looked it up on the web and found that there is actually a company that uses "Linux" as the name of one of their products. If you don't believe it, here's the link.

Now I was under the impression that Linux is a registered trademark owned by Linus Torvald. Don't you think something ought to be done about this? I mean people might think they were getting lighting with some kind of built-in open-source controlling program.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I'll believe anything when it comes to free enterprise and capitalism. Don't know if Linux is a trade mark name though. I run into the same thing when I search google images for AntiX images and what shows up is mostly sunglasses.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    I believe Linus Torvalds holds the trademark for Linux:

Linux Trademark Institute | The Linux Foundation

Some of the info found there might shed some light (pun intended) on it. They also have an ABUSE button that can be used, if needed.
    oz

They talk there about "software-related products and services", which reminded me that trademarks are usually domain-specific. For example, the Beatles' Apple trademark and that of Apple Computers did not clash until the latter went into the music-publishing business with iTunes. Then the rocket went up.

I suspect that legally this overlap is OK because it probably wouldn't cause confusion in anyone's mind. Except mine perhaps.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"