Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hello beyair1. I am the guy that does what you say. I currently have no higher education in computer science except for highschool. I am working as a c/c++, c#, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello beyair1.

I am the guy that does what you say.
    I currently have no higher education in computer science except for highschool.

I am working as a c/c++, c#, java, perl programmer. Jack of all f**king trades.
    I am 21 years and have been working from 20.

The company I work for is from 2002 and is the best in it's domain. We write code that compiles across several platforms. I code on linux , fix bugs on the server part of our application and implement some ).

Here are some pointers to get you a job:
    1. The most important is your mind set. You must be excited about what you are going to do. ( They will see this first ). Ambition.
    2. Ask for a low salary. In time I learned that I asked for like 50% of what the other juniors asked.
    3. You must tell them you are a student even if you are not. They will not check this or they can be easily fooled.
    4. You must have a very good general understanding of programming concepts. Nothing in detail. Know some patterns like the Singleton etc.
    5. Have lots of programming skills.
    (See The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master)

But in the end mostly all depends on luck and if they are looking for a person like you.

Look out for companies that offer jobs both as c# and c++ programmer. They are likely to take people like us and put them through a test period in c# which will be much easier than programming in c++.

Nice book recommendation. I just picked it up through the kindle store and started reading through it... If I had had this in college, wow life would have been easier.

I've been in C/C++ software development since 1993, and I don't have a degree. I took a free government training scheme and then went to work on a 3 month placement as a trainee - I got hired because I found I could see designs that worked while others around me couldn't. I never looked back - but I did need to put in some volunteer hours.

I ended up running the software team at that place, so I ended up hiring people. I looked for people that could do the job and would fit in with the team more than qualifications. People who have 5 years experience writing stuff like we're putting together were always more valuable than fresh graduates.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Somewhere along the line, you have to pay the price to gain experience and a reputation - volunteering, working at reduced rates, working as an unpaid/underpaid intern. Once you get your foot in the door, you still have to be better than the rest of your peers because they have that sheepskin and you don't. Another thing is to join professional associations such as the ACM or IEEE. Even if you don't have a degree, you can become an associate member of the IEEE, then with experience and recommendations later become a full member, even though that "status" is generally reserved for those with technical degrees of at least a BS or MS level. FWIW, I am now the chair person of a major IEEE consultants network, and you have to be a full member to be a board member of that organization. One of my fellow board members is a VP of the IEEE-USA. Remember, networking opens a lot of doors that would otherwise be closed to you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2