Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello,i will estimated that if yours invest some minutes and answer to my questions i want to know what's my chance to work without BA AND i Was study at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Working As a C/C++ Programmer Without BA in Computer Science?

hello,i will estimated that if yours invest some minutes and answer to my questions

i want to know what's my chance to work without BA AND i Was study at course of C/C++

i hava such a big chance to work as a Programmer in C/C++ or i must hava a BA IN computer science?

Thank Yours

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure how many of us here are employers and can answer your question with any exactness, but I'd personally think that your chances of getting a job with any potential employer would depend on their individual qualification requirements. You should have a good chance for a job if you meet all their job requirements and do well in any interviews. Of course, it is true that many employers would take a better qualified person if they can get that person for the same amount of money.

Best of luck to you with any potential positions!
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It would depend on the employer to be honest, and what experience you have. It will help if you have some real work to show. It may be worth getting involved with an open source project that interests you which would get you some experience, and used to working in a team as well as getting you something cool on the old CV!

Good luck with your job hunt
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I am a non-degreed software engineer, and by dint of experience a full member of the IEEE. I started by doing contract work for people I met as a computer sales rep back when the IBM PC was first released. As they say, one thing led to another, and with experience I found that people were willing to hire me for that as much as my programming skills. Most of my work is with C/C++, and over time I have become something of an expert in that field.

So, the answer is a qualified yes, that you can get positions as a C/C++ software programmer without a certified degree. However, it is a LOT more difficult since you have a chicken/egg problem. Many positions advertised say something like "A BS/MS in CS/Engineering and 6 months experience, or 5 years relevant job experience". It's getting the 5 years of "relevant" experience that is the difficulty. Back when I started (1982-83) it was a lot more easy to convince people to hire or contract you to help them solve their computer problems because there were a LOT fewer qualified people around. Today, I think that at least a 2 year degree (Associate) and strong recommendations from your teachers may get your foot in the door. However, that is still not always the case. One example is my grandson (still in high school) who is getting work as a software programmer because of projects he successfully completed for his radio-control aircraft hobby association and partners. They recommended him to other people who could hire him for part-time/summer work doing embedded systems programming. So, he will have a good deal of job experience on his resume right out of high school, even if he doesn't go right off to college.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

C++ programmer with out a degree

I agree with the previous post that back in the day all you needed to do was be able to understand a language, but now what will get you a job sooner is knowing an application such as accounting. I started out in banking and moved to mainframe system programming and many years ago a manager told me that he could teach a high school grad how to hack code in 6 weeks, but it took a 4 year accounting degree to be able to understand what to write. Just knowing a language does not mean you know how to use it, computer languages are simply tools like a hammer but because you can use a hammer does not mean you can design a house. Same with knowing a computer language, knowing how to hack code does not mean you can build an inventory application.
    One other thing is that C++ kinda limits you to working for someone who does system level coding which normally would mean that you also need a CS degree. Just knowing C++ does not mean you understand system level resource locks and enqueue's or how to interface to the hardware.
    I suggest that you consider getting an accounting or business degree with a minor in programming which will open up a lot of jobs for you.
    One other issue is that there are a lot of people like you in India and other countries that know languages but do not know the business side of the job and they work cheaper than anyone. So if you know the business side you probably will not get outsourced or offshored.

i personally don't think a degree is required or indicative of anything, but to be honest, you won't find much without one

most HR people won't even look at a resume without that on it

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    i personally don't think a degree is required or indicative of anything, but to be honest, you won't find much without one

most HR people won't even look at a resume without that on it
    True enough. I've had people with PhD's in CS from respected universities who were useless for real software design and development. However, those 3 letters in their title and their ability to sound like they knew what they were doing got them hired. Since they worked for my engineering team, I probably signed off on the hire as well... Fool me once, and all that!

FWIW, I have also had others with MS and PhD degrees who worked for me who were simply outstanding! Of all, we probably only hired a couple of duds. The rest went on to do some amazingly creative work.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    There are opportunities for programmers without degrees, although they may need to make an extra effort to find a first job.

1. Get involved with a open source project. This shows willingness and gives some experience and importantly, something real to show.
    2. Look for work at smaller companies; you are more likely to be interviewed and tested by techies.
    3. Be prepared to work for less money - or even free for a few months to get your foot in the door. Have a well defined and written review period in this situation.

It's not impossible; just harder. Even these days.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I was unable to find a programming job even with a degree. Of course, I am also a Java guy not a C guy. I am currently learning ObjC and ASM. The thing is, I did find a job. I work for a smaller computer repair company, and do a bit of business programming for our larger clients, some web development, and of course I do repair. Keep your head up, and be willing to take any opportunity. Even with a degree you have to build experience these days, as previously stated, since the market is flooded with talent and degrees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast