Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

importing .pst files

OK, time to recover some info contained inside my former outlook email... I have read the tutorials (one needs a PC with outlook already installed while others work only on Windows), have found readpst but didn't work... etc. Has anybody managed to open pst files using solely linux?
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Linux User
    I'm sure both thunderbird and evolution will allow you to import mail from Outlook .pst files.
    (Sorry, haven't tried it lately because I've been M$-free for the last few years.)

I've not found a way that works consistently that doesn't involve doing the conversion on a Windows machine with Outlook installed. readpst, libpst. Outpost, all work only with certain older versions of pst files, and even then there are a lot of quirks with folders and the like.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To import .pst files in Thunderbird, it uses Windows API's that are not available on Linux.

What version of Outlook are you using that gives you trouble with extracting mail from .pst's? What version of readpst are you using?

I think this is the home page:
    libpst Utilities - Version 0.6.50
    And it states:
    "This version can now convert both 32 bit Outlook files (pre 2003), and the 64 bit Outlook 2003 pst files."

Can you elaborate on what quirks you experience with readpst? Did you check one of the other output formats?
    Last edited by jippie; 02-27-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    I'm sure both thunderbird and evolution will allow you to import mail from Outlook .pst files.
    (Sorry, haven't tried it lately because I've been M$-free for the last few years.)

I have tried it with both evolution and thuderbird (there is a tutorial using evolution but it doesn't as shown on it...) Thunderbird can do it when installed under windows with outlook already installed...

Trust me on this one whych, I have tried it...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675