Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Is it possible to install Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux? I didn't know that something went wrong in the installation and it wiped ALL of my Windows Vista Files, usually ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[URGENT] Install Windows 7 over Linux?

Is it possible to install Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux? I didn't know that something went wrong in the installation and it wiped ALL of my Windows Vista Files, usually i would F8->system recovery->restore to factory. Everything would work out fine right? Wrong, F8 is broke F11 is also, the only CD I have atm (at the moment) is Windows 7, I cannot figure out how to install it though unless someone has another solution, (maybe install XP then W7) I tried to open the Windows 64bit and this is the code i got. I want to switch because Steam doesn't work G1 installer does't work (I want my APB NAO NAO NAOOOOOO). I also just bought games before I got Linux and now i cannot play them (because its steam).
    Code:
    wine /media/US-HP/Win7OS64/setup.exe
    Trying to load PE image for unsupported architecture (AMD-64)
    err:process:create_process starting 64-bit process L"D:\\media\\US-HP\\Win7OS64\\setup.exe" not supported on this environment
    wine: Bad EXE format for D:\media\US-HP\Win7OS64\setup.exe
    The 32bit works but i get an error when installing. Please help me....I just want my Vista back or install W7

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming it is an installation CD/DVD of Win7, you should be able to boot it directly. Bear in mind that it will make Ubuntu go away when you do that. If you want to run Win7 under Ubuntu, then install a free virtual machine manager such as VirtualBox and then install Win7 under that. I am also assuming that your machine is 64-bit capable?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Assuming it is an installation CD/DVD of Win7, you should be able to boot it directly. Bear in mind that it will make Ubuntu go away when you do that. If you want to run Win7 under Ubuntu, then install a free virtual machine manager such as VirtualBox and then install Win7 under that. I am also assuming that your machine is 64-bit capable?
    That's the problem, I changed BIOS to boot from CD never worked. I cannot boot from opening the CD because it says that "It is not an executable bit" Yes I want to remove Linux Completely, i cannot change permissions because of an error, if you can tell me how that would be awesome. Heres the error im getting
    Code:
    Sorry, could not change the permissions of "setup.exe": Error setting permissions: Read-only file system

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you want to wipe ubuntu off your machine and install windows:

Make backups of your files, passwors, bookmarks etc.
    Insert Windows 7 installation DVD
    Power on computer
    Change bios settings to boot from CD (either trough the one-time boot menu or by changing the permanent settings - with Asus it's escape for boot menu and F2 for BIOS settings, Dell is F12 for boot menu and F11 for bios settings I think)
    Install windows
    Done.

Just Joined!
    Tried that already, but when i press F10 (HP Pavilon) and go to boot menu, i change it to 1.CD 2.Floppy 3.Hard drive 4. Connection. I reboot and it just goes back to Ubuntu. By the way its a VAIO Windows 7 CD and it worked on my sisters computer to install (no she doesn't have linux it was Vista->W7) and now it won't book from CD Help anyone?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tonamon View Post
    now it won't book from CD Help anyone?
    Hello and welcome!

If you'll remove GRUB from the master boot record, you should be able to boot from your Windows installation disk again unless it is corrupted, or otherwise broken.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by tonamon View Post
    Tried that already, but when i press F10 (HP Pavilon) and go to boot menu, i change it to 1.CD 2.Floppy 3.Hard drive 4. Connection. I reboot and it just goes back to Ubuntu. By the way its a VAIO Windows 7 CD and it worked on my sisters computer to install (no she doesn't have linux it was Vista->W7) and now it won't book from CD Help anyone?
    If it is a Sony VAIO Windows dvd, then no, it won't work on your HP. Each one of those vendors dvds look for a bit in the bios to tell them the make and model of the computer, and whether or not to install on that pc.

HP computers have a program that allows you to burn the restore disks built in, but if you wipe it, you have lost that ability.

That is why when you select F10 and CDROM it is not booting, because the DVD isn't built for your pc. Just because it worked in another computer doesn't mean it will work on yours.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    But my sister's computer is EXACTLY the same as mine? Also, what if I did the uninstall GRUB then do it... or *IF* there is an HP windows 7 disc.. Would that work? I really see no difference between mine and my sisters computer. Both HP same Graphics Ram etc

I suggest you boot from a Linux live CD to confirm you are able to boot from CD. After that you can remove bootloader code from the MBR. Also can you post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    lets check partitions on the hard drive first - the -l is a small L.

Just Joined!
    Yeah i can boot from the Linux Ubuntu CD but it just hangs there loading...maybe its because i already have Linux installed? Heres the code for sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000b3384

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1       76699   616077312   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2           76699       77826     9052161    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5           76699       77826     9052160   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    Yeah, see theres no windows...I already had another forum tell me that -_- ruined my day...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast