Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Anyone using (or used) this OS? I'd like to know more about it, before trying it. Cannot seem to even find out if its based on Ubuntu, Mandriva, or what! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fortress Linux....

Anyone using (or used) this OS? I'd like to know more about it, before trying it. Cannot seem to even find out if its based on Ubuntu, Mandriva, or what! Would like to see 'release notes', 'system requirements', 'hardware compatibility list', user reviews, etc.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can find out more about it and the system requirements at fortresslinux.org
    oz

Just Joined!

Been there...

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You can find out more about it and the system requirements at fortresslinux.org
    that's what got me interested! I find nothing there that answers the questions I posted here....unless its well hidden. Could you be more specific for this 'blind-as-a-bat' oldie?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    System requirements as currently posted on their website:

Fortress Linux recommended system requirements

Fortress Linux desktop, laptop and netbook version
    Intel Pentium II or higher processor
    256 MB of system memory
    512 MB of disk space

Fortress Linux server version
    Intel Pentium I or higher processor
    64 MB of system memory
    256 MB of disk space

Small Fortress Linux / embedded version
    Intel Pentium I or higher processor
    64 MB of system memory
    10 MB of disk space
    oz

Fortress Linux is based on everything and nothing. It has elements of the top 20 Linux distro's but most of it is 'custom made' since there is nothing to directly fork it from.

I'll open up a Fortress Linux forum soon, so you can ask your questions there since I do not want to bother my users with these annoying (illegal?) java ads here at the Linux Forums. I guess someone has to report these Java ad click and impressions 'frauds'.

Ads are fine, but not in this way my dear webmin.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    System requirements as currently posted on their website:
    Thanks for your assist...don't know how I missed it! Just wish it was more detailed. Not really enough info for me to insure my custom-build will be optimal for this OS, but guess something is better than nothing.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatinux View Post
    Fortress Linux is based on everything and nothing. It has elements of the top 20 Linux distro's but most of it is 'custom made' since there is nothing to directly fork it from.

I'll open up a Fortress Linux forum soon, so you can ask your questions there since I do not want to bother my users with these annoying (illegal?) java ads here at the Linux Forums. I guess someone has to report these Java ad click and impressions 'frauds'.

Ads are fine, but not in this way my dear webmin.
    From the site, Fortress Linux looks like everything I been looking for, though the fact its not really based on another distro is a bit scary. For example, Linux Mint has no instructional books, but the distro its based on does, so that gives me some confidence...with Fortress Linux I got no 'security blanket'! Still want it though! I look forward to your forum, and if you find the time, maybe more detailed hardware info please?

You're right, more information must be added to the website though it's difficult to determine what to tell without overloading people with information.

Basing the Fortress Linux operating system (forking) on another distro is like repainting a house without sanding and degreasing the old paint first before aplying a new layer. There is no other Linux OS that delivers our high level of security by default. So we only copy that what is good from other Linux distro's and do the rest ourselves.

Other disto's are mainly focused on stable but outdated software, but we use cutting edge software where possible. Security is our main goal, stability comes after that. Another example is that they include software based on populairity and demand and not on security.

Because everyone uses Apache, Firestarter, KDE, Snort, etc. it doesn't mean that the software is very good nor secure.

In the 50's, the majority of people believed that smoking was good for your health, that nuclear power was clean and that mankind was a creation of a god.

Well, it's good to see that they moved this post to the coffee corner and resetted my post counter. Now it's my turn.
    Last edited by Palatinux; 03-28-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Extra info

Just Joined!

RE: "what to tell"

Quote Originally Posted by Palatinux View Post
    You're right, more information must be added to the website though it's difficult to determine what to tell without overloading people with information.

Basing the Fortress Linux operating system (forking) on another distro is like repainting a house without sanding and degreasing the old paint first before aplying a new layer. There is no other Linux OS that delivers our high level of security by default. So we only copy that what is good from other Linux distro's and do the rest ourselves.

Other disto's are mainly focused on stable but outdated software, but we use cutting edge software where possible. Security is our main goal, stability comes after that. Another example is that they include software based on populairity and demand and not on security.

Because everyone uses Apache, Firestarter, KDE, Snort, etc. it doesn't mean that the software is very good nor secure.

In the 50's, the majority of people believed that smoking was good for your health, that nuclear power was clean and that mankind was a creation of a god.

Well, it's good to see that they moved this post to the coffee corner and resetted my post counter. Now it's my turn.
    The first thing is getting people wanting to try Fortress Linux...I see no improvement needed in what your site already says. Next is to make OS easy to try. My opinion would be to expand the 'minimum system requirements' (a bit sketchy as is) for them that already has PC. Do up optimal system requirements fo them like me thats wanting to custom-build PC to take full advantage of your OS; for example, list motherboards/chipsets, CPUs, graphic cards, sound cards, etc., that are known to work; mention whether or not OS can handle gigabit ethernet, FireWire, SATA/SATA2, eSATA, USB 2.0/3.0, and so on. I've little positive to say about Billy Gates, but at least he has foresight to make this sort of necessary info easy to find, detailed, and up to date....to get same sort of info from most Linux & BSD distros, it feels like I'm required to jump through a flaming hoop while balancing a glass of water on my nose and singing the Star Spangled Banner backwards!

Lastly I would caution not to underestimate the value of stability. Its fine to focus on high security (main point I'm so keen to try your OS), but stability/reliability is nearly as important. If web browser regularly screws up, printer refuses to print, OS crashes a lot...well, security don't mean much if you cannot get done what you need to get done. Anyway, thats just my opinions.

Linux Guru
    I've little positive to say about Billy Gates, but at least he has foresight to make this sort of necessary info easy to find, detailed, and up to date....to get same sort of info from most Linux & BSD distros, it feels like I'm required to jump through a flaming hoop while balancing a glass of water on my nose and singing the Star Spangled Banner backwards!

From what I see. This Distro has a small team and base. As do a lot of Linux distros. Unfair to compare to a billion dollar corp.

Easy to do documentation when you have a billion dollars to pay for documentation. Which takes months,hardware,testers,manpower to do.

I Belong to a small distro organization. We have 1 to 2 guys who do all the heavy lifting. Not a dept building staffed with troops.

My opinion would be to expand the 'minimum system requirements' (a bit sketchy as is)necessary info easy to find, detailed, and up to date....to get same sort of info from most Linux & BSD distros, it feels like I'm required to jump through a flaming hoop while balancing a glass of water on my nose and singing the Star Spangled Banner backwards!
    Now don't take offence. Just trying to enlighten you to FOSS way of thinking.
    Developers welcome,testers, script writers,users, and free help of any sort.
    You are probably welcome to write the above documentation your self and submit it to the developer for perusal and critiq. I know. I have written how to's for the distro of my choice and am mentioned on the main page.

Documentation is a thankless labor of love.

Even Ubuntu uses User Documentation (Canonical has the bucks). So hope you don't get exasperated jumping through hoops and understand a little better about a distros resources (given out of love, not profit). Takes time and effort to make a distro, put up a website,make a forum.work out the bugs, and write the documentation you request.

That is where folks like us come in.

Happy Trails, Rok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast