Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
It's been the default browser on openSUSE 11.4 since release, well beta 12 has been and it's just updated to the full version. I think it's better and faster than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

It's been the default browser on openSUSE 11.4 since release, well beta 12 has been and it's just updated to the full version.

I think it's better and faster than 3.6 but I think Chromium still has the edge in speed and I'm basing that on the highly precise and scientific method of how it feels to me It's way better than Chomium though as I can have my menu bar at the top of the window where Gui intended them to be.

No really, I'd probably be using Chromium as my default browser if not for the abomination of the menu bar.

Yes. I know!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I have it compiling on Crux right now. I'm surprised it came over so soon; Crux has never claimed to be bleeding edge. Any other Crux users out there, I warn you that if you want webm video compression, you will need to have the yasm build tool installed before you build Firefox. Otherwise the build will fail. If, like me, you aren't interested in video, you can add --disable-webm to the ./configure statement in Pkgmake and that will equally solve the problem.

btw I notice that xulrunner seems to have disappeared. Is that really so?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Anyone else happen to be missing all the little icons beside the available options in the File, Edit, View, Bookmarks, Tools, and Help menus?

They are present when in KDE, but missing when in Gnome.

Edit: never mind... quickly got them back by entering the following code in a terminal and restarting Firefox:

gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons true
    Last edited by oz; 03-23-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I have it compiling on Crux right now. I'm surprised it came over so soon; Crux has never claimed to be bleeding edge. Any other Crux users out there, I warn you that if you want webm video compression, you will need to have the yasm build tool installed before you build Firefox. Otherwise the build will fail. If, like me, you aren't interested in video, you can add --disable-webm to the ./configure statement in Pkgmake and that will equally solve the problem.

btw I notice that xulrunner seems to have disappeared. Is that really so?
    Not on Gentoo systems, I just started compiling FF4 and xulrunner also needed to be rebuilt for FF4.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Not on Gentoo systems, I just started compiling FF4 and xulrunner also needed to be rebuilt for FF4.
    The same goes for Arch.
    oz

I guess I'm soured on Firefox because of the way it messes with the stuff that I save to my computer. I open my articles using Galeon because it does not try to force an Internet connection just to open something up. I do not use Opera for the same heavy handedness.

Firefox is still in my computer but I removed the icon from my desktop because I never use it. Just my opinion!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VROOOM
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<VROOOM
    Man, this is fast. I think it's the fastest ever!
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<VROOOM
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Disable FF4 RC2 Pop-up?

Is it just me or does anyone else in Linuxland find that FF4 beta12 is preferable to RC2? I tried the Release Candidate, but it seemed less stable and I did not like some of the changes made to its Toolbars, so went back to beta12 (which I had in a system backup, fortunately).

The pop-up to the "highly recommended" new release keeps annoying me, however. Where do I disable it?

I have tried it, but I will still stick with chromium as my default browser. Firefox has lost its appeal to me and it just can't beat chromium's speed.

Plus, I like the sync better in chromium.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Well, Crux doesn't have the xulrunner package on its lists any more. And Firefox 4 took just as long to build as xulrunner used to and seemed to have the same things in it so I guess the Crux people have stopped separating them out (they always came down in the same tarball).

What I don't like is that the bookmark bar has gone and that's where I always kept Linux Forums.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast