Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am thinking of buying a netbook(I use only ubuntu, rarely use WIN). After browsing so many forums I came to know about starling netbook from System76(pre installed with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starling. Review Please

Hi,
    I am thinking of buying a netbook(I use only ubuntu, rarely use WIN). After browsing so many forums I came to know about starling netbook from System76(pre installed with ubuntu). I never heard of it before but the configuration seems pretty good. Price is OK. The reason I am posting is I couldnot find much reviews for it(except 1 or 2) that points to the same website again and again. I work with Terminal 90% of the times. I also use eclipse IDE for android development.
    It has 2GB Ram, 250GB HardDisk(for an extra $20 they provide 500 GB HD). wireless is of b/g/n standard. Graphics card is ok, not a big deal for me. 3 cell battery(can get 6 cell but opted not to).
    My main concern from the forums I read is, some people say it gets wireless problem when we install the updates. Also the durability of the laptop. Heard its very fragile. I am using Dell. If its as strong as Dell also its fine. And hows the keyboard and touch pad. Heard the touch pad is awkward. Another thing that baffles me is that, why its not an household name like DELL,HP,ACER if its so good. Is it ok to buy System76(an unknown name) when there is likes of ACER, HP, DELL. Please post ur review guys.

Linux Newbie
    I presume this is the item you're talkinga bout Starling NetBook - Ubuntu Linux Laptop - 10 inch - System76

The specs read nice; I would like for more detailed information (such as which which wireless chip it uses, etc), but I personally (which may be stupid of me) would think it OK, compared to ACER, HP, etc. I have a personal preference for Eee's; plus, in the current generation I would demand it have HDMI out, but since this comes with 2GB (standard is 1 GB in the netbook niche) that may be a fair trade, depending on your preferences.

A couple of things I can say from my own netbook experience (an Eee 1001ha). For one, Eclipse IDE is FREKKin' PAINFUL on a little 10.1' screen. I tried it only for Android development, and quickly backed away because there simply isn't room for it in such a little screen. On a similar note, VGA-out has never worked for me from Ubuntu.

Secondly, Ubuntu seems to hog battery life. I use a 6 cell battery for the following times: When I used ArchLinux, I could get 10+ hours of battery life out of it. WinXP gets about 8. Ubuntu may get 6 on a good day.
    Now, the N570 is a more energy-efficient processor, I believe, but I would still advise opting for the 6-cell battery.

Just Joined!
    Oh I see, So u think, that android development will be painful in that???? Is it because of speed or size?

Linux Newbie
    size; 10 inches is too small for the Eclipse IDE

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    size; 10 inches is too small for the Eclipse IDE
    Agreed!

I currently develop on a dual 22inch widescreen setup and using a 10.1 inch screen for that would be torture (I whine when using a 15inch laptop screen!). On the other hand, something that size is great to carry around for any mobile web-browsing, emails and word processing etc.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Agreed!

I currently develop on a dual 22inch widescreen setup and using a 10.1 inch screen for that would be torture (I whine when using a 15inch laptop screen!). On the other hand, something that size is great to carry around for any mobile web-browsing, emails and word processing etc.
    In fact, I find it very useful for almost every singular task I do; I even watch movies on it (I also code in command-line). It's just when you start dealing with the menus and trees and windows that something like an IDE, they simply do not fit.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I suppose I would be happy to use it to watch a movie on the train or maybe have a game of Supertuxkart but the small screen is a pain on the eyes and the mini keyboard is just asking for RSI or carpal tunnel with prolonged use.

Nah! Give me convenience and comfort over debilitating illness and injury any day
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent