Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey y'all. I'm new to this forum so I wanted to stop here for a minute. I'll probably just be reading/researching for a while but I know I'll have many ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OLD noob here... LOL

Hey y'all. I'm new to this forum so I wanted to stop here for a minute. I'll probably just be reading/researching for a while but I know I'll have many questions. Hopefully I can add something here once in a while. I am a mechanical engineer from the Nashville, TN, area. I design and develop motorcycle parts and race car parts for a cutting-edge technology R&D company. One of our biggest selling parts are our proprietary auto-tuning ECU's for Harley Davidson motorcycles. This ECU uses a narrow-band oxygen sensor and will automatically correct the air-fuel ratio and other settings as you ride. No more changing main jets for riding on the beach or changing back to ride in the mountains. Also, for American motorcycles, we maufacture data bus systems, ignition modules, LED tachometer and speedometer units, hall-effect trigger plates, wiring harness control modules and many hard parts like brake systems including master cylinders, shifting and braking levers, brake calipers and others. A few of our race car parts are fuel pumps, water pumps, oil pumps, hydraulic wing valves and steering gears allof which are for Outlaw Sprint cars and modified dirt cars.

I have a daughter that lives with me full-time as we're widowed. We travel a lot. I am interested in Linux for my own personal projects. I refuse to spend $1,000+ for a stereo system that will always have to be updated or pay monthly for subscriptions. Besides, I like my Pioneer I already have. I want to build a computer for my SUV with only the parts I need. A component-based inexpensive, stripped-down bare-bones minimum sysem that will work. Linux is my operating system of choice.

I want to build an inexpensive computer to:
    play/read all types of DVD's, CD's and all types of multimedia files
    dual monitor capabilities to view DVD on both monitors at the same time or run separate programs on each (DVD for my lil one in rear-seat monitor, GPS Navigation for me in-dash)
    ability to watch rear back-up camera
    WiFi hotspot compatible

Welcome to the forums. We are glad to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Hello and Welcome.
    We'll be here when you start wondering about things....it won't take you long before you'll be helping others too.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome jowayen! Let us know how we can help. You and rokytnji should have lots to talk about!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Welcome aboard!

I think you'll like it here!
    See ya on the boards!

Howdy and Welcome.

Tinker with scooters myself. Don't like the firmware drm though on ECU's though. So run carbs and points and harmon electronic ignition systems on my personal stuff.

Let the customers pay for
    TTS - MasterTune EFI Programming Software

and

HARLEY SCREAMIN EAGLE PRO EFI SUPER TUNER 32109-08B | eBay

which keeps you in a job.

Bad enough I have to boot into windows to use it also. Good luck with the

I want to build an inexpensive computer to:
    play/read all types of DVD's, CD's and all types of multimedia files
    dual monitor capabilities to view DVD on both monitors at the same time or run separate programs on each (DVD for my lil one in rear-seat monitor, GPS Navigation for me in-dash)
    ability to watch rear back-up camera
    WiFi hotspot compatible
    I use a old iBM M41 Desktop as a media center, wifi, etc.. in my shop piping through a 200 watt per channel amplifier with speakers on ceiling. I don't use cages (vans/cars) much when possible.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Welcome to LFo. Hope you have fun!!
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org