Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Unlike Ubuntu, Arch's packages are usually built with the minimum dependencies. You'll get a note about option packages for increased functionality. So while the fine control is perhaps not quite ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unlike Ubuntu, Arch's packages are usually built with the minimum dependencies. You'll get a note about option packages for increased functionality. So while the fine control is perhaps not quite as much as in Gentoo, you still have a tremendous amount of control over what goes into the system.

The Gentoo USE flags in theory could be an advantage if you need/want to do a lot of compiling yourself. Some people like 'em, some people don't. But for the most part, you can do anything in Arch as you can in Gentoo on the compiling front almost as easily. There are 3rd party apps available for Arch that help you re-compile your whole system without much fuss if you wanted to. But you have the option for binary packages in Arch. Maybe it's not an issue for you, but I find compiling to be a long and tedious process. If I need to change a specific package, it's easy enough to hack the build script and do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    Since gentoo is a source based distro to begin with, I get the gut feeling that it'd do better on the compiling front. And the ability to CHOOSE what goes into the system is another neat feature which attracts me to gentoo.
    You have been using Linux long enough to know the only way you will find out if it works better for your needs is to give it a try.

Try a dual boot and setup a couple of apps to see which works best for you. Sounds like you will wonder if you would be better off using Gentoo until you give it a try anyway

...let us know how it works out

Just Joined!

Arch linux

I prefer Arch linux because gentoo is a bit difficult to use for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2