Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atreyu
I am going to develop a program for linux. It is a package backup & restore program. It is going to backup packages and when needed it will restore. If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

About my project[need suggestions]

I am going to develop a program for linux. It is a package backup & restore program. It is going to backup packages and when needed it will restore. If you have suggestions, i would like to hear them. Which features should i include.

I have few questions-
    1.Does it backup only the packages ? Not user files or directories?
    2.If I'm not wrong there are few backup and restore tools are available for Linux.How your program is different others?
    3.Which language are you planning to write the program?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    I have few questions-
    1.Does it backup only the packages ? Not user files or directories?
    2.If I'm not wrong there are few backup and restore tools are available for Linux.How your program is different others?
    3.Which language are you planning to write the program?
    i am just starting to program so this is why i am asking the what features would you like to see in this program. It has no limit like just packages it can backup user files also. I would like to hear your wishes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Can you please define "packages" in this context?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by kenpachi_oae View Post
    i am just starting to program so this is why i am asking the what features would you like to see in this program. It has no limit like just packages it can backup user files also. I would like to hear your wishes.
    Okay.Then I would suggest you to look into windows system restore tool. The tool works(?) like this -
    1.You can a snapshot today.
    2.Tomorrow you installed or un-installed something & machine becomes unstable
    3.Now you wish you take the system back to its yesterday's state.
    4.You use the snapshot system -restore to undo recent changes to go back to previous state.

Some _working_ tool like this would be very useful. (Windows tool never worked for me )
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpachi_oae View Post
    Which features should i include.
    Hello and welcome!

I'd recommend taking a look at some of the backup/restore apps that already exist to get ideas about what features you might want to include. You can always add additional features, or simply improve on those features that others are using to make your application better.

Good luck to you with your project.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Lakshmipathi,
    I have wanted the same thing in the past, too, and was disappointed w/what Linux had to offer. I have since stumbled across this, though, which looks promising...
    Lakshmipathi likes this.

Just Joined!
    other suggestions?

As Ozar said,checkout places like github sourceforge.net freshmeat.net for similar tools. I don't have any specific suggestion for feature as of now. Best thing would be release base version as 0.1 and then add more features as you go. All the best.
    -----