Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Some advice... 1. Take your time. 2. Expect Linux to be different and embrace the the differences. 3. If you really don't get on with a GUI / Distro you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Some advice...

1. Take your time.
    2. Expect Linux to be different and embrace the the differences.
    3. If you really don't get on with a GUI / Distro you can always try another.
    4. Don't try and learn everything at once. With the exception of Gnome Shell (Fedora 15) and Unity (Ubuntu 11.04) the GUIs are similar to Windows in that there is a menu with options, a desktop etc.
    5. Understand that Linux will not stop you doing something very very stupid as doing so may stop you from doing something very very clever!

Number 5 is a core part of the *nix philiosophy
    Last edited by elija; 08-16-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    Just my humble opinion but I think fedora 15 with gnome 3 is the wrong choice for a beginner, I would go with Mint 11, and install codecs at install.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by redbook View Post
    Just my humble opinion but I think fedora 15 with gnome 3 is the wrong choice for a beginner, I would go with Mint 11, and install codecs at install.
    I couldn't agree more, but I would like to elaborate a bit more by sharing with you that I've tried your choice, Fedora 15, as well as Debian, Ubuntu and Mint with different desktop environments (don't worry if you don't know what a desktop environment means yet, I'm sure you will in no time), and I've found that Linux Mint 11 is currently the most user friendly for those who come from Windows and are not very geeky -- it also features the single most powerful Menu (the equivalent to the Start menu in Windows) of the lot and that helps simplify things.

If you decide to give it a go, I would do as suggested previously and install codecs at install, but once that's done I'd also install an application called Ubuntu Tweak, which will give you a very easy and powerful interface to personalize your computer by opening the terminal (just write "terminal" without the quotes in the little search box at the bottom of the menu and it will show it in the results) and copying and pasting the following line:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    and typing your administrator password when prompted (to paste in the terminal you have to use Ctrl+Shift+V, because Ctrl+V doesn't work). This will add the repository for Ubuntu Tweak as well as install the application.
    to open it, just repeat what you did to find the terminal (you'll have time to learn its location later on).
    Good luck!!

Re your English, it's very good. But again, I'm no native speaker either, so maybe not the best one to judge :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Read, read, read!
    Linux is very well documented. As well as the man pages referred to above, most distros have info pages, which are somewhat easier to read. There are also loads of HOWTO's.
    You might like to visit the Linux Documentation Project (tldp.org) and browse around there.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

If you run into a particular issue, Google it.
    There has probably already been someone, somewhere that had the same thing happen.
    And you can find a great deal of information by doing a few searches.

If that doesn't work, ask here! Give some details of the issue, what you've tried, and any errors that pop up.

And while it's already been mentioned... stick with it!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thanks everybody. It's nice to see that there are helpful people.

Just Joined!
    Yeah. I have a tip. Junk Fedora and install Mint. Mint is MUCH easier for first time users coming from Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by lewmur View Post
    Yeah. I have a tip. Junk Fedora and install Mint. Mint is MUCH easier for first time users coming from Windows.
    Or don't.

Remember that not everyone coming to Linux from Windwos is coming because they want an easy ride. Not everyone is technically naive when they arrive - even if they think they are. If they really wanted the easy life, they'd have stayed on the Dark Side.

And above all remember - the things you like in Mint may not be the things others like in their distribution. We have a huge amount of choice between distributions for exactly this reason. Its better to encourage users to find the things they like in a Linux distribution.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    Or don't.

Remember that not everyone coming to Linux from Windwos is coming because they want an easy ride. Not everyone is technically naive when they arrive - even if they think they are. If they really wanted the easy life, they'd have stayed on the Dark Side.

And above all remember - the things you like in Mint may not be the things others like in their distribution. We have a huge amount of choice between distributions for exactly this reason. Its better to encourage users to find the things they like in a Linux distribution.
    As the saying goes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that 99% of former 'doze users would be much better off using Mint rather than Fedora. The OP asked for "tips" and I gave what I consider to be a very good one. Wether or not the OP agrees with me is their business. Not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by lewmur View Post
    Mine is that 99% of former 'doze users would be much better off using Mint rather than Fedora.
    That makes me part of that 1%
    Fedora is actually great for new Linux users who might want to understand their system.
    It's willing to hold your hand through most things, but you'll occasionally need to dig in just a bit.
    I started off with Fedora Core 6, set-up to dual boot.
    By the time FC7 was out, I wiped Windows to make room for other distros.
    Since then I have jumped around to Slack, Ubuntu/Mint, CRUX and others. Even had a HDD install of DSL at one point.

I guess my point is that I agree with Roxoff.
    Keep trying out different distros, and try to find the one that fits you best.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast