Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Any of the major distros are great because it is easy to find help. I would push the OP toward Ubuntu just because I've almost always been able to google ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Any of the major distros are great because it is easy to find help. I would push the OP toward Ubuntu just because I've almost always been able to google up a solution to a problem. On the other hand Fedora is rocking GNOME 3 which, like it or not, is the future of GNOME and there's always plenty of support of Fedora.

As others have suggested, fire up a bunch of live cds, read some reviews of the various distros and see what floats your boat. A good place to start is the website distrowatch.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sorry to disagree guys, but Fedora is a truly awful distro! I find it unstable, clunky and slow but I always figured that was the price you paid for truly bleeding edge. Then moved on to something else. F14 wasn't as bad and had the potential to at least keep me interested. Then I tried F15!

I do very much agree that the only way to find a distro that fits you is to keep trying different ones until you find it. Any recommendation that we make is only our opinion after all. For what it's worth the one I seem to have settled on (after many years) is Linux Mint Debian Edition.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by lewmur View Post
    As the saying goes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that 99% of former 'doze users would be much better off using Mint rather than Fedora. The OP asked for "tips" and I gave what I consider to be a very good one. Wether or not the OP agrees with me is their business. Not yours.
    I agree that your opinion is your opinion, but read down some of the recommendations that have been posted over the years on this site. It's always better for a new user to pick their favourite distribution by their own standards, not by someone else's. By all means suggest, recommend, make a constructive argument about why a distribution is better.

Now if you'd like to just hop down off that high horse and tell us why Mint is better than Fedora, perhaps this can develop into a proper discussion?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Sorry to disagree guys, but Fedora is a truly awful distro! I find it unstable, clunky and slow but I always figured that was the price you paid for truly bleeding edge. Then moved on to something else. F14 wasn't as bad and had the potential to at least keep me interested. Then I tried F15!
    My experience of Fedora has generally been the opposite of that. I just installed a new WinXP/Fedora 15 dual boot for my missus, and the F15 install was _really_ clean. Perhaps I've just been lucky with the hardware over the years - I always stuck to nVidia video cards for example. The problem I have with F15 it is the horrible Gnome 3 interface, which just sucks. It might grow on me, but it just seems to be a battle when I want to get anything done.

I never used Ubuntu because I didn't like the brown interface, but that's all gone now. Maybe its time to move on...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I agree that your opinion is your opinion, but read down some of the recommendations that have been posted over the years on this site. It's always better for a new user to pick their favourite distribution by their own standards, not by someone else's. By all means suggest, recommend, make a constructive argument about why a distribution is better.

Now if you'd like to just hop down off that high horse and tell us why Mint is better than Fedora, perhaps this can develop into a proper discussion?
    Horse Manure. How is someone who has never used any Linux distro supposed to know which distro best fits "their own standards"? I stated which one I feel is easiest for 'doze users as a first time Linux experience. You want to disagree? Fine. Do so. But I don't need to justify my opinion to you or anyone else. I'm perfectly comfortable up here on my high horse, thank you.

Horse Manure. How is someone who has never used any Linux distro supposed to know which distro best fits "their own standards"?
    They don't. Before they can really pick they need to start to understand what they really want. Your statement that was really unhelpful and counter productive to a new user was this one:
    Yeah. I have a tip. Junk Fedora and install Mint.
    All you said was Mint was 'easier' for first time users - so I pointed out that 'easy wasn't always the end-goal.

I stated which one I feel is easiest for 'doze users as a first time Linux experience. You want to disagree? Fine. Do so.
    Actually I haven't disagreed, but you don't seem to have read what I put. I haven't made any recommendation at all. I'm actually interested in hearing other peoples opinions on this. I've been using Fedora for many years, but I dislike Gnome 3, and I'm probably going to end up moving to another distribution. This has the potential to be quite an interesting thread for me, but you wont make it that because you seem to have blinkers on that cause you to see every question as a challenge.

Just Joined!
    They don't. Before they can really pick they need to start to understand what they really want. Your statement that was really unhelpful and counter productive to a new user was this one:
    Yeah. I have a tip. Junk Fedora and install Mint.

How is advising someone to install a distro that I think they will enjoy more "counter productive"? Your logic stinks. And while "ease of use" might not "always be the goal" it sure is a lot of the time.

How is advising someone to install a distro that I think they will enjoy more "counter productive"?
    You didn't say that. All you said 'get rid of what you've got and use this'. But you didn't say what's better about it.

Just Joined!
    You didn't say that. All you said 'get rid of what you've got and use this'. But you didn't say what's better about it.
    Yeah. And it's the "dump Fedora" that's really got you upset. My advice was plain enough. It made it clear that I thought Mint was the better choice. And that is NOT "counter productive". And there is no need for me to go into a long winded narrative about why it think it's better. All the OP needs to go is google Mint to investigate for themselves what makes Mint the better choice.

Hi lewmur.

I think what we're all wondering is this...
    What, in your opinion, makes Mint better or easier? What details about it draw you to it?
    Could you give any details about it, besides "It's easier"?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast