Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
Speaking personally I find Mint (LMDE) to be very light and stable with a good balance of software. By balance I mean between the cutting edge and the very stable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Speaking personally I find Mint (LMDE) to be very light and stable with a good balance of software. By balance I mean between the cutting edge and the very stable but old. Adding the latest repo instead of Debian testing re-inforces this even more. Additionally, everything and I do mean everything I have thrown at it has just worked. Having used distros from Ubuntu to Slackware and most of the way between I can honestly say that I have never used anything like it.

I know I'm not lewmur but I hope this helps
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Actually, yes it does.
    I'm thinking that comments like that might be a little more along the lines of what the OP was looking for.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Actually, yes it does.
    I'm thinking that comments like that might be a little more along the lines of what the OP was looking for.
    If the OP had asked for more detail, I would have happily linked them to articles that explained why Mint is the distro of choice for Linux noobs. But I feel no obligation at all, to do so just as a justification for my original post. So far, the OP hasn't asked for clarification.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hi lewmur.

I think what we're all wondering is this...
    What, in your opinion, makes Mint better or easier? What details about it draw you to it?
    Could you give any details about it, besides "It's easier"?
    Fire up google and check for yourself. Mint is widely accepted as 'the distro of choice" for Linux noobs. Anything I could add would be superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by lewmur View Post
    Fire up google and check for yourself. Mint is widely accepted as 'the distro of choice" for Linux noobs. Anything I could add would be superfluous.
    I could Google for reviews and articles.
    Considering I was asking for your opinion, and asking why you are drawn to it, why would I?
    I wasn't looking for a justification from you. I was looking to get some of your personal insights.

Sorry for thinking that you might actually want to share your experiences with Mint.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I'm actually interested in hearing other peoples opinions on this. I've been using Fedora for many years, but I dislike Gnome 3, and I'm probably going to end up moving to another distribution. This has the potential to be quite an interesting thread for me
    I have not used Fedora, I tried CentOS but did not really get on with it. I quite like the Mint menu, and use Mint Debian Edition because I prefer rolling release. At some point Mint is going to go with Gnome3 ... at the moment I'm running Mint Debian Edition but with Debian squeeze repositories, so should not have to switch to Gnome3 until Debian stable does.

At that point I'll probably give Mint XFCE a try ...

I'd recommend Mint as a new Linux user distro because I think it is quite easy to use, is configured to work with hardware (unless you are unlucky), looks good and the menu system is easy to get used to. It does not force people to get into the nuts & bolts of Linux ... but it does not stop them doing so if they want to.

Apt is a good package manager, with synaptic as the gui, and there should be a fairly decent software repository available directly - with others to add if needed. Mint has it's own software installer as well. There is also an update packs see here which allows greater stability, regularly updated software, but a rolling release - so a one time install

Mint is also currently in the lead on the poll for recommended distro for a newbie ... whether it will be a good fit for your needs will only really be answered by you trying it.

Ed: I use Arch, Gentoo and Mint Debian Edition on my PCs (and changed that to default boot to Mint - desktop because others sometimes use it, laptop because everything just works, connects to other networks with minimum fuss when away from home etc), for others I setup Mint Debian Edition (I used to setup Arch).
    I'd take that approach unless either the PC won't run Mint or they specifically wanted something else ... that has not happened yet
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 08-21-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I use LMDE (XFCE) and it is just as slick. The only difference is that you get the default XFCE menu instead of Mint Menu. You can use the latter by adding an XFApplet to the panel and putting Mint Menu in there. Unlike most XFCE based distributions this one doesn't seem to be trying to be especially light-weight. By default you get full fat applications such as Libreoffice and Banshee rather than the lighter alternatives. Slap on Compiz with a few of your favourite effects and the Emerald window Manager for truly georgous window decoration and you have a distro that looks better than a Mac and still flies even on moderate hardware!

It's refreshing to see a distro use a mid-weight desktop environment and not try to get rid of the fat, rather it leaves that job to the LXDE version which I believe is also a Debian base now.

I'll add to what I said in my previous post and say that the developers (Clem et al) have made some very sensible decisions with regard to the default software as well as providing some excellent tools for configuration and management. My two gripes are:

That you can't choose your own partitioning scheme at install
    Mono based applications

Both of these are very personal, easily fixed after installation and probably wouldn't bother 95% or more of Mint's user base anyway. I also use the new latest repository so that I get update packs. The biggest issue with LMDE is that it is based on testing. This means that for 99% of the time it is fine and then an incautiously applied update borks your system for a few days. As "latest" fixes that issue, I would have no hesitation in recommending LMDE to a beginner.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4