Find the answer to your Linux question:
For about 7 years I am using debian (sarge, etch, lenny and squeeze) and suse/opensuse (sled-10, 10.2, 10.3, 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4). I'll like to experiment with other distros e.g. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

try a new distro

For about 7 years I am using debian (sarge, etch, lenny and squeeze)
    and suse/opensuse (sled-10, 10.2, 10.3, 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4). I'll like to experiment with other distros e.g. fedora. May I have some pros/cons
    of the three of them?
    Thanks for help.
    P.Rudra.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

In my opinion, first hand knowledge about the different distros is always better than taking someone else's word for it.

For that reason, I'd suggest creating a system image of your current system, then you can experiment all you want without creating problems for yourself because a system restore to get back to your current system is always just a few minutes away. Doing it that way, you can decide for yourself what the pros and cons are for each distro that you try. Otherwise, anything seen as a pro or con by other users might be just the opposite to you.

Either way, good luck to you with all the distros that you decide to try!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello

In my opinion, first hand knowledge about the different distros is always better than taking someone else's word for it.

For that reason, I'd suggest creating a system image of your current system, then you can experiment all you want without creating problems for yourself because a system restore to get back to your current system is always just a few minutes away. Doing it that way, you can decide for yourself what the pros and cons are for each distro that you try. Otherwise, anything seen as a pro or con by other users might be just the opposite to you.

Either way, good luck to you with all the distros that you decide to try!
    I got the site for fedora-live. I think I'll play with the live version of fedora first as I did with ubuntu. That won't affect my existing os.
    Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. When I want to try different distro's, I go to distrowatch.com, download the distro I want to try, and burn it to a cd or dvd rw to try as a live cd/dvd. This way you can try a distro without installing and disturbing your existing OS.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Welcome to the forum. When I want to try different distro's, I go to distrowatch.com, download the distro I want to try, and burn it to a cd or dvd rw to try as a live cd/dvd. This way you can try a distro without installing and disturbing your existing OS.
    My Dell Vostro-1014 with dual boot Debian-Squeeze-Gnome and Windows 7 is my stable machine which I don't want to mess around.
    The Zenith Always On (India) OEM Netbook presently with openSUSE-11.4-Gnome is my arena for experimentation. With creation of installation USB
    I have tried Live-Ubuntu-11.04 and now will play with Fedora-15-Live.

I must confess that I didn't very much loke Ubuntu.

Distro hopping is healthy - though I'm sure you will come back to debian soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by prudra View Post
    My Dell Vostro-1014 with dual boot Debian-Squeeze-Gnome and Windows 7 is my stable machine which I don't want to mess around.
    The Zenith Always On (India) OEM Netbook presently with openSUSE-11.4-Gnome is my arena for experimentation. With creation of installation USB
    I have tried Live-Ubuntu-11.04 and now will play with Fedora-15-Live.

I must confess that I didn't very much loke Ubuntu.
    I must confess that while I use Ubuntu 10.04 very happily, I don't much like 11.04 either.
    Registered Linux user #526930