Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
I think with todays generation, bad manners is interpreted as being hip, cool, pimp or thug. Just look at the kids walking down the street with their underwear all hanging ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I think with todays generation, bad manners is interpreted as being hip, cool, pimp or thug. Just look at the kids walking down the street with their underwear all hanging out, I don't think these kinds of kids care about manners anymore. I think it's gotten beyond ridiculous but I try to ignore it like sgosnell said. Ain't nothing I can do about it but laugh and move on.

EDIT: We use cell/smart phones only, no landlines. Telemarketers aren't allowed to Spam/solicit cell phones.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 08-30-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

That's not true, either. I get telemarketers on my cellphone. They just ignore the law and call away.

The only bad manners that bother me is folks laziness. Like leaving shopping carts left out in parking lot so I have to get out of the vehicle and move them to park at the grocery store (just one example of many irksome things).

On Home phone. I have caller id show up on tv screen when calls come in (Dish TV feature). Keeps me from wasting time on looking on phone to see who is calling. I gave up on cell phones (I have a wife for one of those). When I break down in the middle of no where on motorcycle. Usually a driver will pull over and I borrow their cell phone to make a call to the wife. I look on cell phones as umbilical cords. So I don't like them. Just personal preferences like using distros.

I also notice that that bad manners become more prevalent in Major population centers. People are more well mannered in the boondocks in my experience. It must be because good manners is a good survival skillset in the out skirts of civilization. Just my take on it though.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-30-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Can't spell when I am tired
    Dapper Dan likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have not traveled around the world but New York City must have some of the worlds most ill-mannered people!
    Loud music, inconsiderate attitudes, me first, etc. And the language of the teenagers will make anyone's ears burn!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    That's not true, either. I get telemarketers on my cellphone. They just ignore the law and call away.
    Wow, really? I've had the same number for over 10 years now and have never gotten a telemarketer. ( I probably just jinxed myself)
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Bad manners are everywhere these days - people seemingly no longer have the time or energy to be polite. For example holding the door open for people or helping someone off a bus or train with a pram? Whatever happened to "thank you"...
    Dapper Dan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Wow, really? I've had the same number for over 10 years now and have never gotten a telemarketer. ( I probably just jinxed myself)
    Mike, I've even had the pre-paid cell phones, like the ones you can get in Wal-Mart, and still got calls from marketers. The jacked-up part is when they ask for me by name... and there's not even a name attached to an account anywhere!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I don't like it when people I don't know want to call me by my given name - I mean in real life, not online. Every salesman seems to do this nowadays.

When I was growing up, using your given name was a threshold that people could only cross with your permission. It meant that you now considered that person a friend, the equivalent of inviting him to use the singular pronoun in French or German. It sets my teeth on edge when people just assume that right.
    I agree. Though, I'm pretty informal most of the time. So it's my preference to be addressed by my given name rather than surname almost all the time. Though it irks me when sales people/collections agents/customer service reps start off with that level of familiarity, it just seems unprofessional to me. If they ask if they can call me Chris, I'd say yes and from there it'd be ok. It's just the assumption being made at the beginning that bugs me.

I also feel that anyone that wants to be addressed formally should address the other party formally, for instance if a police officer wants to be addressed as Officer Surname, he/she should address the people they deal with in their respective formal address.

A note on sales people jumping the gun and addressing you by your given name, sometimes they don't like it either. I've had a number of customer service and sales jobs, most require you to address the customer by their first name without asking first. They feel that it will bring a sense of rapport to the conversation. Management usually feels strongly enough about this that I've been chewed out at past jobs for addressing a customer as Sir or Mr. Surname before getting the go ahead to be informal.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Mike, I've even had the pre-paid cell phones, like the ones you can get in Wal-Mart, and still got calls from marketers. The jacked-up part is when they ask for me by name... and there's not even a name attached to an account anywhere!
    Dang man, now that is just jacked up. I do pray for the fool who does try to telemarket me on my cell phone, I will be the rudest butt head on this side of the Atlantic ocean.

I'm generally ruder to telemarketers than they are to to me... it's case of

"hello I'm calling from..."

"are you selling something..."

"yes it's..."

"not interested bye"
    MikeTbob likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast