Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
I guess everyone has their pet peeves about bad manners. As usual my personal list differs from this one. At the top of my list is strange people that are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bad Manners!

I guess everyone has their pet peeves about bad manners.
    As usual my personal list differs from this one. At the top of
    my list is strange people that are under the impression that my life or thoughts must go on hold because I owe them something!

I'm not going to go into a rant here- here is the link:
    Top 10 Bad Manners Adults Have
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I don't like it when people I don't know want to call me by my given name - I mean in real life, not online. Every salesman seems to do this nowadays.

When I was growing up, using your given name was a threshold that people could only cross with your permission. It meant that you now considered that person a friend, the equivalent of inviting him to use the singular pronoun in French or German. It sets my teeth on edge when people just assume that right.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Things aren't like they used to be. And they never were. To quote the poet Dylan (Bob), "The times they are a-changin'". I see lots of things that wouldn't be approved of when I was young, but I try to ignore it and get on with my life. I have other things to worry about, like waking up in the morning.

Ah Salesmen, and others, with the " I Already Own You " attitude!! I know it well Hazel!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

At least salesmen are people you can interact with, I hate robocalls. Well, to be honest, I hate any sales call, but robocalls least of all.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    At least salesmen are people you can interact with, I hate robocalls. Well, to be honest, I hate any sales call, but robocalls least of all.
    You can have your phone number placed on the U.S.A. " Do Not Call " list which will curtail most of those sales calls.
    Linux user # 414321

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    You can have your phone number placed on the U.S.A. " Do Not Call " list which will curtail most of those sales calls.
    Unfortunately, the "Do Not Call" list only works for residential phone users, not businesses. I get a lot of these too. The first thing they say is "Can I speak with the owner?" which is an immediate tip-off that it is a telemarketer. I then check the number. If the caller is listed as "Unknown" my response is: "If you haven't gone to the trouble of finding out the owner's name then he doesn't wish to speak with you. Goodbye." One telemarketing firm was so annoyingly persistent I had to threaten them with a lawsuit if they called again.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Telemarketers are as bad, in my book, as the persistent spammers and Internet phishers;
    there isn't any punishment, whatsoever, too severe to unleash upon them!!
    Linux user # 414321

I've found a very good method to communicate with salesmans - when one of them is trying to sell me something, i ask him, if he has a license, and whether he mind, if i call the police to check, if he is a some sort of swindler, or not. After that they all are running away with the speed of light.

The 'do not call' list is a joke. It is routinely ignored. My phone is on the list and we still get calls. I suppose I could go to the trouble of talking to them and getting enough information to turn them in, but it's more time than I want to spend, and I have no confidence that anything would be done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast