Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm John, and I've been using Linux for several years, first off when I was 13-ish when my friend installed an old version of RedHat, which was buggy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi Everyone!

Hi guys, I'm John, and I've been using Linux for several years, first off when I was 13-ish when my friend installed an old version of RedHat, which was buggy as hell, followed by SuSE 9.3 which was slightly less buggy on a Laptop I got given for school. Then picked up Linux again with Ubuntu in College, since then I've alternated between Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu and Arch and spent 2 years programming C at university on/using Linux machines, so I'd say I'm fairly familiar with it.

My main reason for registering here was to post updates of a little project i'm working on, which is creating a Linux system of my own on an old 750mhz P3 machine of mine, with a 3DFX/Rendition combo for the graphics, nothing special but it should hopefully run most non-taxing stuff like email and what-have-you fine, plus everything is legacy enough that I shouldn't require any special tricks to get it all working. I'm planning to use the latest versions of the software as possible (well, latest from the date I start building everything, seeing as it's probably going to take a while hehe) apart from the fact that i'll use GNOME 2.32 as the Desktop environment, seeing as I dislike the new interface with GNOME 3. I'm hoping to post status updates, screenshots etc. and possibly ask for help when (as it's going to happen at some point) I get stuck. Could someone recommend an appropriate section of the forum to post this all in me? I'm looking to use Linux From Scratch as a base, but with as up-to-date software as I can get, apart from gnome being v2.32

I would welcome your comments/suggestions

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bergqvistjl View Post
    I'm hoping to post status updates, screenshots etc. and possibly ask for help when (as it's going to happen at some point) I get stuck. Could someone recommend an appropriate section of the forum to post this
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Linux announcements, general discussion, and observations go in the Coffee Lounge. Any requests for help with specific Linux issues go in the help request forum most suited to the subject matter. If it's a personal project that will have frequent updates, a personal blog might be your best approach.

Best of luck to you with it.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Linux announcements, general discussion, and observations go in the Coffee Lounge. Any requests for help with specific Linux issues go in the help request forum most suited to the subject matter. If it's a personal project that will have frequent updates, a personal blog might be your best approach.

Best of luck to you with it.
    I've created a thread here for it: forum/coffee-lounge/182298-building-linux-source-scratch-my-project.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your project.
    Registered Linux user #526930