Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have a little project (if i'm honest its not exactly wild or new or anything) to announce, one which may require assitance once it gets going. Basically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Building Linux from Source/Scratch - My Project

Hi guys, I have a little project (if i'm honest its not exactly wild or new or anything) to announce, one which may require assitance once it gets going. Basically I am going to build and then install an up-to-date (well the latest versions of as much packages & dependencies as I can use with eachother) Linux system from source on an old P3 machine I have. The machine is legacy enough I reckon for most of the drivers etc. to be fairly non-complex and probably included as standard in the kernel now, which makes things easier I guess. The components are:

• Intel Pentium III 750Mhz CPU
      Rendition V2200 Graphics Card, plus a 3DFX Voodoo2 Card
      512MB RAM
      Intel Network card (Don't know what model, but it works out of the box booting from the most recent Linux-From-Scratch CD
      40GB IDE Hard Disk - Master
      IDE DVD-ROM Drive - Slave
      12" 800x600 Max CRT Monitor

As you can see, while those specs aren't exactly world beating, they should be enough, especially if compiling from source on the same machine, to let me use the system to browse the web, check emails, watch a few SD videos, etc.

My goal is, while basing it off of Linux From Scratch, use the most up-to-date packages I can, for everything apart from the Desktop Environment, where I will use GNOME 2.32 (seeing as I dislike the User Interface of GNOME V3.

So yeah, I'm hoping to post status updates, screenshots etc. and possibly ask for help when (as it's going to happen at some point) I get stuck.

I would have started already, but the 40GB IDE drive which arrived today doesn't work, so I'm still waiting for another.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you considered using a light-weight Window manager to see if you can make that baby fly? I'm guessing that decision's a way down the line yet
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Have you considered using a light-weight Window manager to see if you can make that baby fly? I'm guessing that decision's a way down the line yet
    I'd prefer to stick with the gnome 2.32 suite.