Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
I would never want to leave Crux; I thought recently I might have to because I couldn't get the new all-in Firefox to compile, but some kind soul has started ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I would never want to leave Crux; I thought recently I might have to because I couldn't get the new all-in Firefox to compile, but some kind soul has started a binary repo and I can get it from there.
    I love the speed of Crux but, even more, I love the conceptual simplicity; this is really bare bones Linux.
    As for compilation, as long as something compiles eventually, I'm happy to let it run overnight.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It appears that LXDE isn't based of Debian; which is a shame as it would really fly! I'm sure I read that somewhere. Ah well, senility is on it's way.
    LXDE is just a desktop environement, what you may be thinking of is the Mint LMDE distro, otherwise known as Linux Mint Debian Edition. LXDE and LMDE often get confused.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I'm really liking having the ability to remove apps I don't want or use without any apparent issues with them being integral to the whole system as is the case with Ubuntu/Gnome.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    LXDE is just a desktop environement, what you may be thinking of is the Mint LMDE distro, otherwise known as Linux Mint Debian Edition. LXDE and LMDE often get confused.
    Sorry I wasn't clear; I meant the Linux Mint LDXE edition doesn't appear to be based off directly off of Debian
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    One thing I'd like to see LXDE do is to bring on their own default disk burning application. KDE has K3b, Gnome has Brasero, and Xfce has Xfburn... all of which are good applications, but if you install any of them in LXDE you have to take on some extra dependencies belonging to one of the other mentioned desktop environments.

I'd also like to see LXDE and Xfce have some simple games applications that come by default with their DE, like the games apps that come with Gnome, and KDE.

On the other hand, when running only a window manager, I don't want any default apps, but prefer to assemble my own environment.
    Last edited by oz; 09-08-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2