Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have found svn has free svn server software called VisualSvn for windows. But I am wondering if their is an equivalent free cvs server software out their for microsoft. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

repo ?

I have found svn has free svn server software
    called VisualSvn for windows.

But I am wondering if their is an equivalent free cvs server
    software out their for microsoft. (would be nice if it was gui based but not nessary )

I know linux has them both but I am finding it hard to find some of the repo servers for windows.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, you want to use CVS, but not SVN on Windows? CVS is a couple of generations of source code control systems behind SVN and GIT. You can use CVS with Windows, but I'm not familiar with any plugins that work with Visual Studio, which is not to say they don't exist.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Well I am just looking for cvs server software to run on window's box.

Weather a particular IDE like visual studio's supports connecting to a cvs or svn repo is a different question that I am not worried about since I am using eclipse that works with both of them .(has both plugins)
    I believe visual studio's and other IDE support plugins for using cvs and/or svn as well though.

Either way the problem still stands is their cvs server software I can get to run on windows or must the cvs server be on a linux server?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    CVS doesn't require a server. It will run just fine with the source repositories on your Windows box, AFAIK. Here is a link to the Windows binaries (stable versions): GNU Project Archives

Source code is also available. Just navigate up through the "Parent Directory" links to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    CVS doesn't require a server. It will run just fine with the source repositories on your Windows box, AFAIK. Here is a link to the Windows binaries (stable versions): GNU Project Archives

Source code is also available. Just navigate up through the "Parent Directory" links to find it.
    Ok. I'm wrong. It is a client-server system, but it should still run on Windows just fine. Here's a useful link on using CVS, with subsequent links to the actual documentation and such: About source code version control with CVS

One final quote from the introduction to CVS page:
    CVS will also operate in what is sometimes called server mode against local repositories on Windows 95/NT.
    So, even if a full server cannot be run on Windows, you should be able to use it there. Sorry, but I haven't used CVS for a very long time (about 15 years), and then it was on Unix systems, so my knowledge is a bit "rusty, dusty, and musty"...

Just Joined!
    ok i have already download cvs and created a repo for my projects on a windows box.
    But my problem is how do I access it from a remote computer. I would need some cvs server software to run on a specific port and authenticate users.

My problem is with the cvs downloads it doesn't seem to come with an part for the server /daemon to run cvs repo on the network. I don't see any cvs switches that allow me to run a daemon or create account for the repo.

On linux you have
    sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
    this will start the cvsserver
    i.e you have to download and use xinetd

I am just confused as to how to have a cvs server running on a windows box. do I need a cvsserver config file like

service cvspserver
    {
    port = 2401
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    user = root
    wait = no
    type = UNLISTED
    server = /usr/bin/cvs
    server_args = -f --allow-root /var/lib/cvs pserver
    disable = no
    }
    if so where do I put it and what software is going to be equivalent to xinetd to start and stop the cvsserver.

I am just a little confused as to how to get a cvs server to run on a windows box. Svn looks quite easy/trivial with VisualSvn.

Ok. I see your problem. With Windows, you can only access CVS repositories if they are local, or managed by a "real" CVS server, which has to be a *nix system. My suggestion would be to install a Linux virtual machine (using something like VirtualBox) with the CVS repository, and use that to manage the source code. Then, your Windows machine(s) could access it as you would wish.

Just Joined!
    So , correct me if I am wrong cvs server software or setting up a cvs server it must be on a linux box or some vmware , virtual pc ,virtualbox ,...etc software running linux.

If that is true then that is kind of odd that they haven't made cvs server software for a windows box. since cvs came out in the 80's/90's era you would think they would have developed something by now.

I know an svn server came be setup on a windows or linux machine quite easily.
    So my 2 options are use linux or use svn.

Question 2
    you had mentioned git can you use this instead of svn or cvs. And does it allow you to use it with both a windows or a linux machine?

I've been using svn for the past few years - git I included more for completeness than anything else as I haven't used it except as a network client to access open source code over the internet. It is the source control system used by the Linux Kernel developers, developed I think by Linus specifically to work as he wanted a source control system to work. Prior to moving to Chicago in 2006, the company I worked for was a big ClearCase user. So, asking me why there isn't a real CVS server for Windows is not a question to which I have an answer. It's been over 10 years since I used CVS in any administrator role, and then it was on Unix systems specifically.