Find the answer to your Linux question:
So far so good. I've enjoyed PC's and MAC's mostly because I love computers and software. A friend says, I haven't seen anything yet until I see Linux in action. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Great Expectations

So far so good.
    I've enjoyed PC's and MAC's mostly because I love computers and software.
    A friend says, I haven't seen anything yet until I see Linux in action.
    Glad to be here and give it a spin.

Welcome to the forum. If you like tinkering with computer software, linux is for you. Not only are there tons of free programs, but at distrowatch.com, they have over 600 different linux distro's you can download. Additionally, you can change the desktop environement from gnome to KDE, LXDE, XFCE, or a dozen or so others, plus you can change the window manager to one of the many available. By mixing and matching distro's, DE's, and WM's, you could spend years and years, and never have tried all the possible combinations. For those that don't want to tinker with it all, they can go to distrowatch.com, start at the top of the popularity list, and within a few live cd's find a distro they like.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Banned
    Thanks but I'm sorry to say I don't understand your message. I wish I did... give me a week. Perhaps I can use Google translate

the first problem is how to add a password? I don't know the default user name. As you can see I have a ways to go.

Ok, translation. DE or desktop environement: Desktop environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    window managers: Window Managers for X
    A distro is short for distribution, which is what the different linux operating systems are called. Ubuntu, OpenSuse, RedHat, etc. are all examples of different distributions of linux.

As to default password, go to your distro's site and you should find it. Many distro's use user or guest for the ordinary user and root for the root password. When you install to your hard drive, you can set them both to whatever you want.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Welcome to LinuxForums!

If you are looking at Linux for the first time, and are curious about which version you should try first, take a look at this distro quiz. It's usually pretty good about helping folks pick out a distro to start with.

By the way, just in case you're wondering about the looks and effects that alot of us have on our machines, you can take a look at some of our screenshots.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.