Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Hi, I was looking around on craigslist (again) and I decided that "hey, maybe if I type in Linux, something cool might be on here" And there was PC III ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anyone know what this computer is?

Hi,
    I was looking around on craigslist (again) and I decided that "hey, maybe if I type in Linux, something cool might be on here" And there was

PC III Computer

I have never seen this computer before. So does anyone on here know what it might be? Like what brand, and maybe release it is? I know it is older, but it might be a rare find.

Never seen one before but I do think the price tells you all you need to know. Unless you collect things like this or something. Might be fun to tinker with for a day or two.

EDIT: I would like to know what it is also. Looks kinda sexy in a very strange way. =-0
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 10-07-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Anyone know what this computer is?

No. Looks cool. I would pm the seller and ask pertinent questions like

How much ram? (important, sdram costs more lately for upgrade
    Cdrom or CDRW?
    Hardrive size?
    Make of Computer? (since it is his, he should be able to tell you make and model number. You can google it then)
    Video Chip?
    Sound Chip?
    Number of USB ports?
    Network card dialup or Ethernet?

Since Puppy 5.25 is installed on it , That info I ask is available. It is a cute unit for a oldy. A Kinda Desktop/Laptop with a carry handle. If itching for it. I would look at it as costing me a 12 pack of beer. Beer will be gone in a night for me.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Hi,
    I do collect things like this, well kind of. I have a old Dell Inspiron 7000 with a 333Mhz processor and maxed out RAM at 360MB I think I did have puppy linux on it but the hard drive started clicking and now I can't unlock it, so I run live CD's from it.

I also have multiple more computers with about the same specs.

Mom just put an end to it Can't get it now so it doesn't matter anymore I guess.

On craigslist there's always odd computers on there. This is the first of this type I have ever seen though. It has been on there for a month now so maybe it will be on there a bit longer

I do need a new video card before a new older computer (new older?) though. Can't run linux with gnome to the fullest on my build one anymore.

Well it is interesting for sure. I'd play with it until I conquered it, which wouldn't take long. One other thing to keep in mind, even though it's cute and all, only $15.00 too, it's probably going to cost you more than that to have it shipped to wherever you are.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

LOL @ Roky, I just saw your post. a 12 pack of beer eh? That's a good way to look at it.

In craigslist you drive to the person and pick it up, and then give them the money/trade items while you are there. So there's no shipping, just some gas which usually wouldn't be very much.

I need to get another lamp for my plants and a video card before I get another old computer though. I might end up with it after I get those though

Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    In craigslist you drive to the person and pick it up, and then give them the money/trade items while you are there. So there's no shipping, just some gas which usually wouldn't be very much.
    LOL that might explain why I have never used Craiglist. I'm kinda anti social. Just kidding.

Beer... a light for plants...
    I think I saw a Cheech & Chong film once where they...

Never mind. I'm off-topic
    MikeTbob and jreidsma like this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Well it's a PIII so that dates it to around 1999.
    Case reminds me of a Compaq.
    But the handle and flip down monitor screen screams Lan party case.
    Lan parties were very popular back then.
    It was a pain to drag your whole case, monitor, keyboard and mouse to someone's house along with a bunch
    of other people doing the same thing.
    So having a carry handle and the monitor screen built into the side would have been a dream for that person going
    to the party.

As for that Cheech and Chong movie??????
    'nuff said! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast