Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Happy New Member

I have been using Linux for several years now, and as a computer enthusiast and software developer, Linux brought to me a type of environment I did not know existed.

I began with Ubuntu Linux, which I found to be safe and user-friendly. It allowed me to be productive and ease myself into the bash terminal, octal permissions, and getting used to EVERYTHING being a file.

Being a strong Windows user, knowing DOS prompt and having stripped apart (the relatively simple parts anyway) Windows all the way from Windows 3 to Windows 7, Linux just seemed to make more sense to me.

Soon I began looking for a more personalized experience and came to Arch Linux, which is where I am now. I have stripped much of the relatively little waste built into the system, and am working on compiling a faster kernel.

The reason I have joined LinuxForums.org is that, through my interwebs travels, I have frequently found my answer on this site, and I thought it was time I try to give something back.

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you know your way around already.
    Have fun, and enjoy the information give and take around here!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Great to have you join us. Welcome to the forum.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by droopysnowmen View Post
    I have been using Linux for several years now, and as a computer enthusiast and software developer, Linux brought to me a type of environment I did not know existed.

I began with Ubuntu Linux, which I found to be safe and user-friendly. It allowed me to be productive and ease myself into the bash terminal, octal permissions, and getting used to EVERYTHING being a file.

Being a strong Windows user, knowing DOS prompt and having stripped apart (the relatively simple parts anyway) Windows all the way from Windows 3 to Windows 7, Linux just seemed to make more sense to me.

Soon I began looking for a more personalized experience and came to Arch Linux, which is where I am now. I have stripped much of the relatively little waste built into the system, and am working on compiling a faster kernel.

The reason I have joined LinuxForums.org is that, through my interwebs travels, I have frequently found my answer on this site, and I thought it was time I try to give something back.
    This is the only site that actually helps me. Many of the sites (not all) seem to just never help.

The penguin logo the forum uses scares me. It looks like an angry penguin ready to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by WickDaddy View Post
    This is the only site that actually helps me. Many of the sites (not all) seem to just never help.

The penguin logo the forum uses scares me. It looks like an angry penguin ready to attack.
    From penguinworld.com, the logo appears to be an emperor penguin. Emperor Penguin

Scientific name: Aptenodytes forsteri

Size: 36.7 kg (m), 28.4kg (f)
    Nest type: breed on sea ice in winter, egg carried on feet
    Favourite food: fish and squid

The Emperor Penguin is a bird of extremes in just about every way. It breeds during the Antarctic winter and exhibits many adaptations to the extreme cold that these birds experience when breeding.

Identification:
    The Emperor Penguin is bigger than any other living penguin, standing up to 1.1 m tall. It is distinguished from the smaller King Penguin by its size, more robust stature, and a broad pale yellow connection between the orange-yellow ear patches and the pale yellow upper breast. Immature birds resemble adults but are smaller and have a white rather than black chin. Ear patches are whitish, becoming increasingly yellow with age.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by WickDaddy View Post
    I think he's there to scare away Steve Ballmer.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.