Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
I thought I'd ask you guys here since most of you know about computers way more than me right now. I got a $1800-$2200 price range. I'm not looking for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am buying a new laptop or multi-touch computer

I thought I'd ask you guys here since most of you know about computers way more than me right now.

I got a $1800-$2200 price range. I'm not looking for anything really top of the line (2,500-10,000) as you can see. I just want something that has more kick than a normal computer for themost part.

Asus or MSi (no mac or alienware)

Name: MSI 23.6-Inch All-in-One Multi Touch Screen Desktop - Black
    Model: AE2420 3D-204US
    Link: MSi website - MSi A-I-O
    Price: $1,949

Name: ASUS 17.3" 3D Gaming Notebook - Black
    Model: ASNG74SX-3DE
    Link: Asus website -G74SX
    Price: $2,079

Can someone give me a run down on how much more powerful the Asus is verse the MSi computer?

Web Development: This is a size issue more than anything. Either computer is basically over kill the only thing the MSi has a much larger monitor.

Gaming: Not a huge gamer just has to run games on the lowestsettings.

Video editing: the Msi one is larger and easier to work with projects, but the asus laptop is a better performer from what I cantell. Just not sure how much better.

I'm stuck in a bind. That MSi computer would be amazing for any type of project size wise, but the Asus has power.

Does anyone have a good way to tell how much better a computer is than another one or know if there is any type of calculator to compare?

Thanks guys

One last question, when is the best time to buy a new computer? I want to buy one now, but I want my tax return to pay for it completely and I need to pay off about $500 in bills first. I don't want much debt as a 22 year old.

Personally, given a choice of those 2, I'd go for the ASUS.
    If monitor size is important for some of your projects, you can always hook up another monitor to it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

As a general rule I'd say performance for your money would be best with a desktop then a laptop then an all in one ... and given the choice I'd spend any extra money on hardware rather than buying an OS

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Personally, given a choice of those 2, I'd go for the ASUS.
    If monitor size is important for some of your projects, you can always hook up another monitor to it.
    Why is that? I wouldn't have any money to really add another monitor. Is the Wind Top that bad?

This is just a personal preference here... nothing more. But I hate the idea of an all-in-one unit.
    One of my main complaints of laptops is that, with the smaller more enclosed casing, there isn't much room for cooling or air circulation. The all-in-one units suffer from the same issue.
    Also, many components will need to be directly connected/soldered to the mobo, limiting your ability to personally upgrade your hardware if you wanted to. Some manufacturers are even taking a page from Apples' book on that... an iMac generally has screws that are different form factor than what you might have in your toolbox, so repairs require that you take it to a specialized shop. Hardware vendors see this, and follow suit on their units. Not all of them are doing this... yet.

At least with a laptop that is geared towards the gaming crowd, like the ASUS that you linked to, there is a certain expectation that cooling will be less of an issue. And it's got more powerful hardware to start with, so an immediate need for upgrades seem less likely.

And on one final note... Newegg.com - Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1
    That monitor, also by ASUS, is well priced. So will still come close to the price range that you were thinking of.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

By the way... I agree with Jonathan.
    You would get more hardware value with a desktop.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I don't like throwing this out there, but I'm in the military so desktops are out of the question when I travel.

I need code and music to help me relax. That's really my main focus when buying. Which sounds stupid because I could code and listen to music on a $500 laptop.

Best Buy - Did some shopping (don't think I pay taxes).
    Asus laptop is $1,812

Wind Top (A-I-O) $1,642

Only thing that would be an issue is that the windtop is 4gb of ram and overheating. It's also much harder to travel with something that is 24", but it could be done.

I don't upgrade laptops at all.

Quote Originally Posted by WickDaddy View Post
    Only thing that would be an issue is that the windtop is 4gb of ram and overheating.
    Keep shopping around, then. Take a look on NewEgg, as well.
    I see a few laptops on there that I would LOVE to have, and probably meet your criteria.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Keep shopping around, then. Take a look on NewEgg, as well.
    I see a few laptops on there that I would LOVE to have, and probably meet your criteria.
    I found this and was amazed. It's another freaking all in one.

Newegg.com - ASUS ET2400XVT-B063E 23.6" All-in-One PC Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I just can't change asus. No matter what I always seem to go back.

Gateway, dell, etc were pretty bad in the past, but Asus seems to know what they are doing.

Where I work at some of out customers have all-in-ones at their sites. Nice until something breaks or burns out.
    Then it's in the trash.
    Most of the unit is non-serviceable.
    About the only thing you can change is the hard drive and that's a major project. You have to tear it all apart to get to any of the components.
    And it is not upgradeable. Can't add a better graphics card or sound card. All of that is embedded on the motherboard and it has no expansion slots.
    I'd look into a good quality laptop.
    Alienware's are way over priced so check other brands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast