Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now-a-days digital cameras have huge amount of storage whether it be inbuilt or through memory cards. So storage problems for cams are served in this way. But all the storages ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Digi cam as cam attached to a computer

Now-a-days digital cameras have huge amount of storage whether it be inbuilt or through memory cards. So storage problems for cams are served in this way. But all the storages come to end when you need to record a session in 1080p HD using a digi-cam. I own a Sony CyberShot DSC-H20. A black bodied camera with 10 mega pixel medium sized CCD and 10x optical zoom and upto 17x additional digital zoom. Its a beautiful still camera with awesome quality video recording capabilities. But just records 52 minutes of video when on 4GB of free memory and 1080p HD. But in my college lecture sessions are more than 120 minutes. I still manage to record them somehow using 2 batteries and 3 numbers of 4 GB memory cards. All was working but as the curiosity of the human brain I thought of something.
    Well the idea would be, a software that attaches itself with the cam and a tripod and records the video directly to the computers HDD. Also when the lecturer moves the movement of the camera can be controlled along-with using a mouse. Is this kind of a thing possible and if yes then can it be made unified for other cams also. This might help in shooting small documentaries using DSC or D-SRL cams.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My wife recently purchased a Canon PowerShot and uses a 32GB class 10 (150x) SD card for this sort of use. I'm not sure what the battery usage is for HD video recording however. I haven't heard any complaints yet...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!