Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have downloaded a few copies of linux and complied them to get a kernal image in arch/x86/boot named bzImage . What I am wondering is how from just the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

building linux distro ?

I have downloaded a few copies of linux and complied them to get a kernal image in arch/x86/boot named bzImage .

What I am wondering is how from just the linux source can you make a linux distro or something you can install on a machine.

What is the next step.

I can download grub for booting the bzImage but is that all you need to run and install linux on a HDD. So that it works what about all the folders/files like etc , var , user , dev , proc where do they come from ? Does the bzImage create these when it is first booted or must you create the folders manual. And if so where do you get the device files and other programs in bin or sbin. Are they a specific download?

Don't you need a initrd.d ?

I am sorry I just don't understand maybe all you need to get linux bare bones running is the kernel image and a bootloader that loads it into memory. But I am curious where all the other stuff is coming from?

oz
    forum.guy
    building linux distro ?
    Hello

Based on your questions, I'd highly recommend that you take a look at Linux From Scratch for learning how to put all the different components of a Linux system together for building a working system:

Welcome to Linux From Scratch!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok , I will look into it.
    But I am just curious do you know what the minimal stuff is to run a working copy of linux on a machine. Can you do it with just the kernel image and a bootloader like grub. Or is their way more stuff you have to do. (in theory I would think all you need is just to have a way to boot the image of the kernel and the kernel itself, not taking into consideration of what you can do with it after that would be probably minimal)

Is their a short answer to the other stuff something so I can just see the structure/steps involved (high level view) before I start reading tons of stuff on it. Breezing through a few articles it seems the LBS is all about downloading packages like coreutils ,...etc never had to download system type of packages before but maybe when you make them they give you the other folders like etc , proc , var ...)
    Last edited by sam111; 10-13-2011 at 07:07 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
    Is their a short answer to the other stuff something so I can just see the structure/steps involved (high level view) before I start reading tons of stuff on it.
    Here's a simple diagram that outlines the various components of a Linux system:

http://www.go2linux.org/pics/other_files/Linux_OS.png

There are also some very small distributions such as Tiny Core that you could take a look at to see how they've done it:

Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks, curious though If you just formated the HDD as ext3 and installed grub and copied the bzlinuz kernel image to the harddrive what would happen. The OS shouldn't fail with out a Gnome or GUI program , and it should beable to work without bash , gcc , or I would think core utiltiies package.
    . Correct me if I am wrong though?

question 2
    What happens if I just wanted to create my own graphical driver with out installing gnome , Kde ,...etc is their
    away using just the linux kernel built-in functions (loaded with the bzlinuz image). If so what functions are we talking about?

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never tried either of the tasks you've posted above so can't say what would happen if you were to try them, but it shouldn't take long to test the first scenario to see what would happen. Creating a graphical driver would certainly be more time consuming. Even if you manage to boot a stand alone kernel it doesn't seem to me that it would be very useful without some other components to tie it all together.

For test purposes, you could always take a mini distro such as Tiny Core (link posted earlier) and then start stripping things out, all the way down to the kernel and see how that goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I will post back when I am done trying question 1
    Question 2 was more of I wanted to know what functions you could use to display stuff/gui things if you didn't have a gui interface like gnome , kde, ...etc. ( i,e what gnome ,kde call in bzlinuz?)

I am also trying to compile trying to compile the source code for coreutils-5.0.tar.gz I unziped it into my home directory folder
    issued
    ./configure (which seems to check and find everything ok)
    then when ever I do make , or make check I get this error
    tee.c:35: error: conflicting types for ‘tee’
    /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h:281: note: previous declaration of ‘tee’ was here
    make[2]: *** [tee.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sam111/coreutils-5.0/src'
    make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sam111/coreutils-5.0/src'
    make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

I don't get what this is coming from and how to fix it?