Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to start off saying that I am not sure if this belongs in the coffee lounge or in Ubuntu forums. So will a mod or TP kindly move ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Kubuntu Distro Upgrade

I want to start off saying that I am not sure if this belongs in the coffee lounge or in Ubuntu forums. So will a mod or TP kindly move it if it's in the wrong the place, please? Thank you.

I've been running the distro upgrade in Natty for about 4 hours now and it says it still has 3-4 to go. The messages during the preparing phases told me it could several hours and I'm totally cool with that.

But it sparks curiosity. How come it takes so long when it would be quicker to torrent the live cd Oneiric and do a fresh install? Well, that leads me to think that the advantage of upgrading Natty this way is that all my files, appearance customizations, and control settings preferences will be the same. I.e., the way Natty looks in my screenshots is how Oneiric will look. So my second question is, Is that how it's going to be?
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

I have some not so good experiences with distro upgrades in the past, So I have chosen the other path you mentioned. Download an ISO, 2 Hours more or less, burn for 10 minutes or so. Install in 20 minutes and update online at about 1 hour. I was usually end up with a broken system when doing an online distro upgrade. Hope you get a good upgrade though. Good luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    Well, that leads me to think that the advantage of upgrading Natty this way is that all my files, appearance customizations, and control settings preferences will be the same. I.e., the way Natty looks in my screenshots is how Oneiric will look. So my second question is, Is that how it's going to be?
    Hey there, Skittle!

Yeah, that's the way that it's supposed to work. And I've had it work flawlessly before with Linux, Windows and with Mac computers.
    I've also had it fail on all 3 in spectacular fashion.

I usually just backup what I want to keep and restore it to the new system, and advise customers and clients to do the same.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Hope you get a good upgrade though. Good luck!
    I just restarted. So far, so good. KDE is running a little smoother. I did keep all my eye candy and keyboard shortcuts. That alone made it all worth it. I don't have to spend 2-4 hours doing it all over again. I also had some notifications for a failed application upon restart. But..... I don't remember which application or what the error was. I just remember thinking, "Oh, I don't give two shits about that." Hopefully I don't get that notification every start up.

My only real concern right now is that Webmin is showing that I am still running Natty. But my console shows

kev@kev-TA760G-M2:~$ cat /etc/*-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"
    kev@kev-TA760G-M2:~$
    Weird. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hey there, Skittle!

I usually just backup what I want to keep and restore it to the new system, and advise customers and clients to do the same.
    Hey, Jay! Yeah, I cloned my Natty install last night via clonezilla in anticipation of the Oneiric release. So if it goes to BFE all AFU, I won't loose any sleep over it. But like I said, so far it's been a successful upgrade.
    Last edited by SkittleLinux18; 10-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Well, it didn't turn out to be as successful. After poking around at the few changes of Oneiric, I decided to restart the computer to see what would happen. When KDE tried to boot up, the plasma-desktop failed. I tried to report the bug, but was told that there wasn't enough information. I also got error messages for console-kit dbus, mail client, and address book. The errors said they couldn't start. I really doubt it's a problem with Oneiric, and more with the medium through which I upgraded. I think I'll try a few fresh installs on virtual machines and see what happens.

I was thinking as I was restoring my Natty install via clonezilla that I have never had success with Kubuntu-x.10 installs. Only -x.04 ones. Oh well.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I have never had an OS Version upgrade go well either in Windows or Linux to the point I don't bother trying any more and just do clean installs when I want a new version. At least you had a backup eh?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    At least you had a backup eh?
    Yeah, man. I use clonezilla religiously; about once a month. I did a clean install of Oneiric on another computer. I don't understand what this "Activity" feature is all about. I have already has the plasma-desktop fail once, forcing me to reboot. The Moun package manager is pretty tight. I like it. Probably the highlight change so far. I also like the minor changes to the application launcher menu. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens. Also see what updates come through the next week. Just see what happens. I really hate this "Activity" feature, though.

Kill X and your display manager and run the upgrade from the terminal. Don't use the update manager.