Find the answer to your Linux question:
More specifically, my first distro was Mint which I found to be a perfect starter for myself. Then I did an install of Arch for the first time due to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink "Best" Linux in-between Ubuntu and Arch?

More specifically, my first distro was Mint which I found to be a perfect starter for myself. Then I did an install of Arch for the first time due to interest in customization (I like the idea of building a personalized distribution mostly from scratch). The install was successful but the computer I installed it on ended up being used for other applications. Just recently I tried to install it on my custom desktop build that I just made. Long story short, I don't think Arch is for me as far as customization. I don't mind fancy command line footwork, but I ran into issues this time around that I didn't before (specifically, dhcpcd didn't work properly and I had a hard time installing proper drivers etc). So what kind of distribution is in the middle of an automated Ubuntu install vs a hands on Arch install?

tl;dr: What has more customization than Ubuntu but not as much as Arch?

Also, in general, the main thing I am looking for as far as use goes is something that allows a lot of audio applications (a recording application, possibly modeling software for a guitar line-in, other effect software and sampling software). Other than that there is nothing out of the ordinary I want out of it.

Also, I'm a new poster to the forums, although I've spent some time sifting through some threads in the past. I've never quite felt the need to post.

Hello and Welcome!

That's kind of a 2 part answer.

As far as the ability to customize, you can do that with Ubuntu just as well as you could with Arch.
    Simply use your package manager to add the software that you need, and to remove the rest.

But if you are looking for a middle ground of automated set-ups vs manual set-ups, I'd say either Slackware or Debian.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I've considered trying them both at some point. One thing I really like about Arch is the usability of the pacman package manager. Although at the same time I find it difficult to install more specific software such as drivers. It's pretty much a love/hate relationship there. Then with Mint it's an amazingly simple system but software that isn't in the package manager tends to be elusive as well.

For anything that's not included in your distros repos, you could simply install from source.
    Unless you're talking about proprietary software, that is.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.