Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone i want to know which linux distro is best...dear i am new in world of linux..so i don't know much about it...so can any one here help me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which linux is the best? i want to know

Hello everyone i want to know which linux distro is best...dear i am new in world of linux..so i don't know much about it...so can any one here help me to know how can i learn more about linux and any good place for learning linux.?

Please help me...thanks in advance

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    A difficult question to answer as best is such a subjective thing. Anything I, or indeed anyone else says is opinion and bearing that in mind, I love Linux Mint Debian Edition (XFCE) on the desktop and pure Debian or Ubuntu server edition on servers. Ultimately though, only you can decide which one you like the best. Enjoy the journey but I caution you that it can be addictive
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Hello and Welcome!

'Best' depends on what you like, your level of skill or curiosity (curiosity leads to skill in time ), and what you'll be doing.
    If you're just making the switch to Linux, then I'd say the best choice for a new user would be Mint.
    Most things will work out-of-the-box with little or no extra setup required on your part. However, like all Linux distros, you can still open up a terminal and dig around in the system with the command line if you like.

And even though I'm not a personal fan of the graphical layout, Ubuntu is also a great choice for starting out with Linux.

There is a quiz you can take to help you find a version, found here: zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

Enjoy!
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You could look at the distrowatch website which has the top 100 Linux & BSD distros. scroll down the page and look on the right.

Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian are usually the top 3 in popularity, start with one of them and try different DE's (desktop environements) such as gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, or ICEWM. From there you can decide what direction appeals to you. Be sure to match the distro you choose to your hardware specs, 1 GB or more ram for ubuntu, lubuntu or xubuntu if you have less. Most important, play around and have fun.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    A difficult question to answer as best is such a subjective thing. Anything I, or indeed anyone else says is opinion and bearing that in mind, I love Linux Mint Debian Edition (XFCE) on the desktop and pure Debian or Ubuntu server edition on servers. Ultimately though, only you can decide which one you like the best. Enjoy the journey but I caution you that it can be addictive
    Thanks for reply...and i want to get addicted

Just Joined!
    See what can i do.....anyway thanks

i like ubuntu for my desktop and centOS for my server but you also have to think about your hardware older hardware you might want a light distro like puppy linux but also when i mean older i mean older lol i run ubuntu on a system with 512mb or ram not bad at all so your just going to have to explore good luck

It seems everyone is answering your first question only. To answer your second question all I can say is how much do you want to know? Personally I want to know everything about it. However I doubt that you want to know EVERYTHING, so here is a book I found to be very useful (it is about the command line, but I still found it to be pretty easy to grasp):
    people.wallawalla.edu/~larry.aamodt/engr122/TLCL-09.12.pdf

Honestly, I've found that the best way to learn Linux is to just use it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.