Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any tablet oriented distro's in linux? Specifically, can you replace windows tablet 2005 with any linux distro's or substitute a linux distro on the ipad?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Any tablet oriented distro's in linux?

Are there any tablet oriented distro's in linux? Specifically, can you replace windows tablet 2005 with any linux distro's or substitute a linux distro on the ipad?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I think it's possible to install Ubuntu on the Asus Transformer TF101

The obvious one would be Android. It's Linux with touch-screen wrappers. Whether you can put it on an ipad, I can't say.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Solved, sort of

From the Ubuntu website about desktops for tablets: There really isn't any out there currently - but what you may want to install is the new UNE (Ubuntu Netbox Edition) which provides the new launcher application on the destkop itself. Should make using a tablet a lot more effective.

To get this to work you'll need to add this [ppa]: ppa:netbook-remix-team/ppa to your system and install the relavant packages. It took me quite some time to hunt down this repository for some reason. I believe you'll then want to execute sudo apt-get install unity ubuntu-netbook-unity-default-settings and any other packages listed.

and about ipad they say: While installing Ubuntu on an iPad would be awesome, and possibly annoy Apple rotten, it is something that is not officially supported or even discussed by any person associated with Apple. To install Ubuntu on an iPad requires you to really tinker with the iPad and open up the kernel, which of course is something Apple will not take kindly to but also possibly void any warranty attached to the device.

When you read about people that tinker with devices to make them do things they weren't designed for, carries great risks of actually doing it and if you don't know what your doing, that invites trouble!

Stick with IOS 4 on your iPad and Ubuntu on your PC/Laptop. Much safer!

In the fridge forum at ubuntu, different answers to tablet questions seem to indicate that Ubuntu 11.04, and possibly earlier editions will install fine on a tablet (non-arm). On arm tablets you may or may not be able to get them to work. In general, the netbook edition seems to be recommended over the regular edition. On ipads, and possibly others, installing ubuntu may void the warranty, so you do so at your own risk.

If you want straight Linux, Debian has a number of ARM editions, one of which should work on most ARM devices. Most other distros haven't bothered with ARM architecture. The biggest problem would obviously be the touchscreen interface, but that may be solved, I don't know.

I mentioned Arm only in passing, incase someone else looked at this thread for help. What I wound up buying is a used Fujitsu 10" tablet with an intel 933 Mhz chip, 256 MB RAM, and 30 GB HD. It presently has xp on it, but I am going to put some flavor of linux on it if I can. 1st choice being Ubuntu 8.04 or Lubuntu 10.04, 2nd choice AntiX or Easypeasy, and Meego if all else fails.

Android from what I learned is linux down there but aside from that, the developers has made its own directories that kinda makes it a hybrid if compared to a real Linux system.

Meego on the other hand is a true blue Linux system. From root up. Hope this helps.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

From what I'm reading on the net, most linux distro's will install and run, though some may require a little tinkering to get all the hardware to work right. Seems ubuntu, Suse, and Meego are the most recommended. Since I only have 256 mb ram to work with, and 933 mhz low voltage chip, I'm not sure the latest ubuntu will work. Hopefully lubuntu, AntiX, Crunchbang, or Meego will, as I like the first three, and Meego is widely recommended. Now I just need to receive the unit and start playing with it. No disk drive, so I will have to see if it will let me boot from a usb, or if I will need to figure out another way to install.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    ...Now I just need to receive the unit and start playing with it. No disk drive, so I will have to see if it will let me boot from a usb, or if I will need to figure out another way to install.
    Hope you get to make it work and am looking forward to some post. You'll never know if I would get to start dabbling with this gadget sometime in the near future.

Good luck .
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667