Find the answer to your Linux question:
I found this on a Jan 07 online magazine archive and thought it was interesting. "If you havenít heard yet, thereís a new Ubuntu-oriented project thatís been making waves: install.exe. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows installer for ubuntu

I found this on a Jan 07 online magazine archive and thought it was interesting.

"If you havenít heard yet, thereís a new Ubuntu-oriented project thatís been making waves: install.exe. In short, itís a way to install Ubuntu onto the same file system as Microsoft Windows without repartitioning your drive. Justifications include minimizing the risk of data loss during repartitioning, a more user-friendly installation process, and eliminating the need of burning a CD to install. However, is there truly a need for an Ubuntu installer for Windows?"

Has anyone ever heard of this project or know what happened to it?
    Registered Linux user #526930

I remember reading something like that a while back.
    If I'm not mistaken, that was one of the first public announcements for what would become Wubi.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I used to use Wubi when I first started out with linux and Ubuntu. It was really nice not to have to repartition.

My entire disk was located in a file called root.disk. This was mounted as a loop device. I don't remember other particulars about how exactly it worked. I believe the directory root.disk was in contained grub files, which the new boot sector pointed to.

It all worked spectacularly until I tried to upgrade to a later release of Ubuntu. My distro completely freaked out. I wasn't linux savvy enough at the time to even begin to figure out what was wrong with it, but I managed to save root.disk and reinstalled Ubuntu, recovering my files and all.

I've heard that this is still a problem for many people upgrading their versions even into 11.04. Don't know about 11.10, though.