Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
@yagolf: I don't know... Linux still requires a pretty good knowledge of terminal to get full use out of it. Alot more than the average Windows or Mac OSX user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

@yagolf: I don't know... Linux still requires a pretty good knowledge of terminal to get full use out of it. Alot more than the average Windows or Mac OSX user will use. So in that sense a Linux user is going to on average be more computer savvy then a Windows or Mac user simply because they still have to know terminal.

@RedChevy: I think it is really ur choice. How difficult the system is to learn is really just a perspective thing. If your really wanting to learn linux and dive right in, then choosing one of the harder distros to set-up won't be an issue for you.

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is awesome though, its a rolling distro so you will always have the latest software updates. I would suggest going with LMDE if your going Linux Mint, not because i have anything against Ubuntu, but simply because most of your hardware will work out of the box, its a rolling distro which means any of the latest software updates in Debian repositories will be available to you, which means you won't have to worry to much about if you have the latest and greatest (if that is what your after obviously??). So it means you can learn linux at a steady pace.

The alternatives to Mint or Ubuntu are Red Hat distro's; Scientific Linux, Cent OS and Fedora are all pretty easy to use.

Just Joined!
    Linux still requires a pretty good knowledge of terminal to get full use out of it. Alot more than the average Windows or Mac OSX user will use
    I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, because to me it is really apparent that if you are an average joe who knows close to nothing about computers, all you want is a system that works right out of the box, is responsive, looks and feels comfortable (which may even include the choice of wallpapers you have on a fresh install...) and has the applications that you use (namely web browser, office suite and little more). Nowadays, people don't need to know anything at all about using the terminal if they don't choose to. Obviously, it's their loss for they will never learn the true potential of their machines, but what you just wrote is quite a dated statement. To give you the clearest example I can think off, my mother (65yo) got her first and only computer with windows vista. she used it for about 3 years but was always complaining about it (obviously) and I was having to remotely connect to it to solve her problems (we're talking about someone who still doesn't really understand how she can use my computer to see her own emails...). well, I installed LM10 in her computer last year and haven't had a single cry of help since. she's really happy with it and says she will never go back to windows...

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is awesome though
    True, but it's not as friendly, as the LMDE team say themselves; from their website: "Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges."

I also would have chosen a different list of alternatives, but as we say in spain, there are as many tastes as colours.

all the best.

Maybe i didn't convey my statment properly.

I'm not saying windows or mac osx don't require terminal to get full use, or that linux can't be used without it. Because both rn't true.

What i was trying to say is that it is more likely a linux user or a person learning linux will learn to use terminal in their daily use than a person using windows or mac.

Simply because their are some distro's of linux and software that require it due to a lack of gui or dependencies. Where as a person learning windows or a windows user will not use it on a daily basis because the need isn't their, all programs have a gui and all copies of that windows edition will be the same.

Obviously this doesn't include all the variables like a programmer or developer who would use terminal all the time.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I think we need to consider what the average user does. Mostly, it seems to be:

Web browsing
    Email
    Word processing
    Spreadsheet
    Image viewing / editing
    Movie viewing / editing

All of which in no way need the command line. I would go so far as to suggest that for a user with these needs, Linux is simpler than Windows as the graphical environments are similar enough to be familiar and you don't need to learn all the background cruft such as defragging, anti-virus and so on. Most modern Linux distributions even allow you to do all your configuration through a GUI while still allowing the geekier users who want to delve deeper to hit the command line.

So do you need to learn and use the command line to run Linux? No.
    Can a command line be a lot more efficient than a GUI? Yes absolutely.

The real question is:

How can Linux shed the image of being only for uber-geeks when the reality is a secure, stable and simple to use operating system?

[edit]
    I do know some .net programmers who have never used a command line and given Mono* and it's tools, Linux is even suitable for them!

* Turns head and spits
    [/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Ditto by elija

You got me all wrong i don't disagree with you!!!

All of which in no way need the command line. I would go so far as to suggest that for a user with these needs, Linux is simpler than Windows as the graphical environments are similar enough to be familiar and you don't need to learn all the background cruft such as defragging, anti-virus and so on. Most modern Linux distributions even allow you to do all your configuration through a GUI while still allowing the geekier users who want to delve deeper to hit the command line.

So do you need to learn and use the command line to run Linux? No.
    Can a command line be a lot more efficient than a GUI? Yes absolutely.

The real question is:

How can Linux shed the image of being only for uber-geeks when the reality is a secure, stable and simple to use operating system?
    It same end of the spectrum that say a GUI is for newbs just coming from the opposite crowd. Its ignorance!

The way Ubuntu is focused more on easy to use and friendly OS for home or laptop. I think that image Ubuntu gives is quickly changing the "linux image", while they get slack for the retail like appearance of Mac OSX. They would definitly have the largest influence on how Linux is percieved to the everyday user.

It the same reason why they are the most well known Linux Distro outside the Linux community and why Linux is associated with Ubuntu and not persay Fedora.

The other side of it is, that Linux like BSD don't promote themselves in adds or in retail stores other than computer related magazines. You can't go and buy (at least where i live; Australia) a Ubuntu OS or Fedora OS install CD or a laptop pre-built with Linux installed. You have to devulge through the web to find a Linux distro or know what Linux distro your after.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 10-31-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2