Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
what is the best way to learn Linux OS, Computer Networks and Databases? which one would be the best to start with? i am in the first year of computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NewBiEEEEE!!!

what is the best way to learn Linux OS, Computer Networks and Databases? which one would be the best to start with?
    i am in the first year of computer engineering,,

what is the best way to learn Linux OS,
    Run it.

Computer Networks and Databases? which one would be the best to start with?
    i am in the first year of computer engineering,,
    I'm partial to Debian. I might go with rubbermans distro who is pretty tech saavy and runs

Scientific Linux - Welcome to Scientific Linux (SL)

Though any Linux at DistroWatch may suit your needs.
    Irithori likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux User
    Welcome to the real world computers. I hope you find it is as amazing and fascinating as I do.

Actually Mac OS was my entry to UNIX systems. But I would start with Ubuntu or Mint Linux. It is important, when you are a beginner, to have all the difficult little details taken care of for you by professionals. Ubuntu and Mint are VERY professional, with very polished interfaces. Using a more complicated system like Gentoo or Arch might distract you from learning programming languages, as you often have to spend time solving problems that are way over your head, for example, details with the sound card or video drivers.

Once you have your Linux system installed, (and Ubuntu and Mint are as easy as can be to install side-by-side with Windows), you can immediately start downloading free software packages using the built-in "package manager". In Ubuntu find the "software center" application and run it. Then you can search their full database of software.

RULE #1
    Learn to use Vim or Emacs. Vim is a bit more complicated to learn, but once you master it, you look like a sorcerer when you use it. You don't need a fancy Integrated Development Environment (IDE) to write software in Linux. Linux is the IDE. Linux doesn't need Xcode, Visual Studio, NetBeans, Eclipse, SlickEdit, or UltraEdit. If you don't learn either Vim or Emacs, you will not go very far in the Linux world. There are lots of tutorials on the internet, just Google "Vim" or "Emacs" with "Tutorial" or "beginners guide" or something. Open up a terminal, type in "vim" or "emacs", and start learning.

RULE #2
    Learn to use GNU "Bash". Bash is a rather old language, but it is extremely useful, and used everywhere in Linux. Bash is designed for daily computer-related tasks like moving around files. You can also starting/restart server software or launching larger application programs by just typing in the name of the program. It has some fairly powerful features for automating repetitive tasks, like if-statements, for-loops, and while-loops. Bash also has a powerful string-editing syntax. Finally, bash can let you link programs together like lego-blocks to build larger programs with a feature called "pipes". You can easily build very complicated programs in a single line of code. Whenever you open a command line in Linux, you get a "Bash" shell by default, and you can start entering Bash commands right away. Writing a Bash script is just writing a bunch of Bash commands into a file, and then running the file as though it were a program. This is incredibly useful.

A good practice exercise in Linux is to setup your own Apache web server. With Apache, everything is configured by writing directives into a text file. In fact, most Linux software works like this -- first write commands into a text file, then run the run the server program. The server will read the file and change its behavior to work like you told it to in the config-file (assuming you did it right). It is good to learn how to read the manual to figure out which directives you should write to get the server to do what you want. The same is true for MySQL and PostgreSQL. Configure it all with just text. Of course, if you know how to use Vim and Emacs, it is much easier to write these configuration text files.

Finally, it is also important to learn as many programming languages as possible, especially languages like Bash, C, C++, Python, JavaScript, PHP, and SQL, but this won't happen while you are in college. It takes years to master a programming language. My experience is, don't spend all your time mastering just one language. Write as many practice programs in as many different languages as you can every month. Always challenge yourself with more complex programming problems, and try to solve these problems using each language you know.

Just Joined!
    Install, Config and personalize. Then, do a self express example. After check all possibles syntax in the config files and scripts. When grow-up, learn regular expressions. Remember always do it with the shell.