Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm retired so I do not have to worry about stuff like this. If I did have to use a computer at work I would keep my passwords in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Workplace Passwords

I'm retired so I do not have to worry about stuff like this. If I did have to use a computer at work I would keep my passwords in my wallet. At any rate I figured some of you might be interested in this from Lifehacker:
    The Most Common Hiding Places for Workplace Passwords
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

For most users, passwords are an annoyance, not a safety feature. So many times when doing heldeskp support I ask the user to type in his/hers password and they replied at loud, Oh, yes, it is that-and-that. In a office full of people. Then I say to them, ok, now give me your credit card number and pin, and they reply : What?, are you crazy?

Hahaha very recognizable. These places they hide their passwords.

But if you can't find a post-it note with someones password, you can always ask a co-worker. Chances are good they fill in for each other by exchanging passwords.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

On a post it note stuck to the base of the pen pot is another common one.

Most people just don't get passwords at all. The average home users especially don't get it, years of the fabulous windows 3.x/9x probably fed this problem, but even Windows XP and Vista/7 default to automatically logging in the fully privileged user if there's only one user set up on the system, and just leaves out passwords by default...

I've tried to explain to people in the past, but only got blank looks or the "is this idiot serious?" half smile. Passwords are generally seen as an annoyance or hindrance and that's before you get to the super ignorant "hey it's my ******* computer!!?" crowd.

The problem is this word "password". So people think they have to use a word or something wordlike. So they'll use:
    1) something easy to remember and easy to guess (letmein, admin) or
    2) a name taken from a list (Star Wars characters, dog breeds, etc). All those lists are out on the Internet waiting for crackers to use them.
    3) if their system enforces a difficult password, a random string of mixed alphanumerics which they then have to keep on paper somewhere or they'll never be able to log in!

The trick is to make up a phrase that exactly expresses what you feel about the system and then use the initials - easy to remember, hard to guess.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Hazel your intellect is very alluring!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!