Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ok ... when you start your PC You usually can enter the bios setup with DEL or F2. Here you can set your preferred boot device. Thats the medium the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Ok ... when you start your PC
    You usually can enter the bios setup with DEL or F2.
    Here you can set your preferred boot device.
    Thats the medium the system tries to start on.

Usual it's the HDD since the system will be installed on it.
    If you wanna set up your system or try a live CD you may set it to your CD/DVD/BR-ROM or USB-Stick.

Usually there's also a key (most time F10 or F12) to get into a boot-device selector at startup.

When you select your CD-Rom at startup the windows setup will start automatically, it doesn't depend on your system that is installed.
    That's why I said the question itself is stupid, what you need to know is just the basic howto boot from CD.

If you install windows you will loose all your data you stored under linux.
    Even if you store files into a separate partition windows will only be able to read the files if they are stored into a FAT or NTFS partition, since it ain't able to handle File-systems such as EXT, XFS, RaiserFS, ...

Sorry for my rude tone, as I suggested before it's 9:30 pm and I'm drunk.

Banned
    Ill try and let you know

After looking through this thread, I just want to point out something as a word of caution.
    raph2394, you mentioned that you are attempting to use an .iso of Windows that you downloaded.
    That being said, is it a proper .iso file? And do you have a MS product key?
    If the answer to either one of those is 'no', then you may be in for even more of a challenge than you already have.

If that turns out to be the case, we can help you get your Mint installation up and running properly.
    Good luck
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I had that thought too, but it is possible to have a legit windows download.
    So as long as there are no indications that say otherwise... no reason to treat his questions different than others.
    Microsoft Store Online - Windows 7 Ultimate - Buy and download from Microsoft Store
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Very true, and I agree.
    I just wanted to point out the possibility. That way, he can verify everything before getting in too deep.

Like I said above... just a word of caution
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    First, I am going to assume you have a legitimate copy of windows 7 and the license to use it. If you go into bios and set your boot sequence to boot from your cd/dvd drive, you should be able to install windows 7 and you will lose the linux install you have. Which doesn't sound like it would be a big deal to you if you did. You will have to let the windows install reformat the hard drive to ntfs. When you are done with that and you want to you can install Linux Mint inside windows. Or you can use an ISO of Gparted to delete or modify your partitions so that you can install Linux side by side. Install windows first then linux. Both methods seem to work fine for me.

I am running kbuntu on my primary machine inside Windows XP and on my backup machine I am running Linux Mint in a side by side installation.

One other thing is that if you have an ISO you need to burn a CD or DVD before you can boot from it. Just copying the ISO file to a CD won't do anything for you. I'm guessing you know that already although you didn't say so.

Ed J

Just Joined!
    all you need to do is to just boot from your windows cd and format your whole drive then install windows on it

The funny thing is that you are hating Linux but using you're system "primarily to 'hack' android phones", Android is Linux, so apparently you don't hate it so much. Maybe you're just struggling with Mint and you should either a) try to really figure it out instead of stating you hate something just because you haven't used it before or b) try another distro that might work a bit better. I think there are much simpler solutions than stating something as broad and contradictory as "I hate Linux" and trying to install Windows.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

i agree with the above statement. linux can be difficult at first but if you stick with it and use this forum for your questions and problems I know you will be happy with it. And just a side note you will have to delete the partition that linux is on before you can format it because windows will not recognize it otherwise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2