Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been thinking for quite a while now about which distro should replace Ubuntu on my laptop... Although Unity is not as bad as I expected to be, it nevertheless ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Linux distro to choose (except Ubuntu)?

I've been thinking for quite a while now about which distro should replace Ubuntu on my laptop... Although Unity is not as bad as I expected to be, it nevertheless is not for me! Big icons, menus always on top of the screen, difficult to customize... It reminds me more of Mac OS than Linux...

Anyway... I did some search and downloaded the live CDs from Fedora and Mint. They both look very good if you, of course, don't select Gnome 3 as the desktop environment! I have two questions...

1) Is it true that Mint is based on Ubuntu and what does this mean for a user? If, for example, Canonical decides to do some serious changes in Ubuntu will these changes pass on to Mint as well?

2) I really liked Fedora (both KDE and Xfce). My only concern is if it's for really experienced users. Even though I consider myself as experienced (I've been using Linux for more than 2 years now both in my laptop as well as in my work), maybe that's not enough for Fedora!!

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You can read up on the origin and history of Linux Mint here:

Linux Mint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd think that whether or not the Linux Mint devs would follow Canonical's lead on any major changes in the future would depend on what those changes are, and what the Mint devs think about them when that time comes. So far as I know, the Mint devs are free to take their distro wherever they want, whenever they want.

In my opinion, Fedora is meant for any Linux user, from raw beginner all the way on up to the highly experienced Linux user. On the other hand there will be plenty of users from both groups and everywhere in between that like, or dislike Fedora. It's a matter of personal tastes, and I'm not personally a fan of it, although I was long ago.

The good thing about Linux is that there are plenty of other options available to you should you decide that neither Mint, nor Fedora suit you at this time. Why not go on a distro-hopping spree and keep on trying different distros until you find something that you like? It takes some time, energy, and blank disks, but it's fun and you'll learn a lot about Linux along the way.
    oz

Ozar has hit the nail on the head. It is a matter of distro hopping and finding what appeals to you. Try distrowatch.com and burn some live cd/dvd's and try out several different distro's. My personal favorites are ubuntu 10.04, lubuntu, antix, legacy, crunchbang, and imagineos, but you need to see what appeals to you.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Just some new maybe unknown recommendations from me.

Discover | elementary OS

Semplice

while you distro hop and check out what suits your tastes.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advices guys!

A "distro hop" might be inevitable although I would prefer not to do one! If I find the time, however, it will certainly be fun!

If you know more about what you like and dislike, such as like gnome/don't like kde, or like debian based distro's, you can do a search on the distrowatch web site that will just give you, in the example, debian based gnome distro's. That will narrow down the number of distro's to try. You can then read up about each one and pick 2 or 3 to try, or go to the top of the top 100 list and try the highest ranked recommended distro. If you use RW cd's, it wont even use up a lot of cd's. Each distro can be tried as a live cd, evaluated, and then installed or discarded.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have used in the past:

Gentoo
    Mepis
    Sabayan
    Fedora (up to FC12)
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu (normal, server, and studio)
    Suse (up to version 10)
    CentOS (RHEL)
    Scientific Linux (RHEL) - current workstation and laptop use
    Debian (embedded systems)
    Android (cell phone)
    a specialized Linux distribution for network fault testing (bad packet injections, packet timing, etc)

They each have their strengths/weaknesses. I always like to test out the live CD/DVD/USB version of the ones I may be interested in so I can see how they operate, what UI they use and if I like it, etc. I've been using Red Hat clones on my workstation (CentOS 5 and SL 6) for 4 years, and Ubuntu on my laptops (starting with 7.04) until recently when I switched over to SL 6.1. I like SL because it is well supported, compatible with RHEL, and dead-bang reliable. It may not be current "bleeding edge", but I can run newer distributions in a VirtualBox VM as I want in order to check them out.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You could also try Mint Debian Edition with the XFCE desktop. All the Minty goodness and all the speed of Debian.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I'm kinda trolling various distros. I use to like using Ubuntu but I agree, their new GUI just doesn't do it for me. I've found I'm growing more and more "minimalistic" in terms of what I like. Linux Mint looks pretty slick and Fedora is nice too. Hope you have luck with them! Speaking of Fedora, I'm currently setting up a test server in CentOS and I'm still getting use to installing and updating stuff with "yum", I'm just so used to typing "apt-get..." :P

Just Joined!
    Hello again guys!

I've eventually installed Fedora and I really like it so far! The only thing I don't like is KDE... I think it's too slow (at least compared to Gnome 2 and even Unity)... I'll also give a try to XFCE

@basica
    You're so right about apt-get

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast