Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
I now have multi-user startup and shutdown. It took a while to get udev to load my driver modules. Turned out, after some googling, I needed to run depmod -a. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Stage 4 completed

I now have multi-user startup and shutdown. It took a while to get udev to load my driver modules. Turned out, after some googling, I needed to run depmod -a.

Stage 5 will be getting networking up.

I don't like the Slackware startup scripts; they're very complicated. I think I will uninstall them and copy over the ones from Crux instead.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

What are you going to name your distro? LOLOS for little old lady operating system?
    jayd512 likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    What are you going to name your distro? LOLOS for little old lady operating system?
    I actually did Laugh Out Loud!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Stage 5 complete

I can get online! I did replace the startup scripts as I knew I hadn't a hope of getting the link up using the Slack ones; of course this has created some incompatibilities which will take a while to iron out.

@Masontx: It does have a name but I'm keeping it under wraps for the time being.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Hazel, Loving the work. I signed up just to follow your progress and have just got my hands on Crux to check it out before I start hacking things apart.

This is all. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RobboRex View Post
    Hazel, Loving the work. I signed up just to follow your progress and have just got my hands on Crux to check it out before I start hacking things apart.
    Well, that's flattering! How did you hear about it?
    I'm currently in stage 6 "fleshing it out". This means adding what I think I need: sudo, vim, cups, build tools and so on. Today I did my first completely autonomous install - the easier way is to download the packages in Crux and then chroot to the new system to run installpkg but I installed gcc and the libc headers by booting straight into the new system and downloading via Links (in text mode - not easy!). I still need to add cups. Then I shall regard stage 6 as complete and proceed to stage 7: X.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    I found it randomly searching around for minimal linux... its something I need to get done to please my own annoyances with everyday distributions... I'd never heard of crux before today... Its looks right up my street although I have played with gentoo many a year ago, I currently run LinuxMint and Debian so its nice to get back to having a little more control over my system from the start. Keep up the good work and I'll pop by and see your progress

@RobboHex, If you want minimal system inflation with maximum system control... CRUX is for you.
    Speed, stability and low overhead all come with it.

hazel, I'm really enjoying reading along with your progress!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Oh come on, Ozar! You know me: I'm the old curmudgeon with a prehistoric mini-tower that I bought second-hand for 30 pounds. Am I the sort of person that would be running 64-bit?
    Sounds like the perfect machine for a 64-bit! OS, It would be like adding a pair of turboskates (Rocket powered skates) to your prehistoric feet :P

All the best!

What desktop environment do you plan on using are you going to share the iso?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast