Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Originally Posted by champ_weller What desktop environment do you plan on using are you going to share the iso? It will use Enlightenment. I have a special reason for wanting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by champ_weller View Post
    What desktop environment do you plan on using are you going to share the iso?
    It will use Enlightenment. I have a special reason for wanting to use that. It will be tricky because it isn't an official Slackware package, but there is a slackbuild for it. I think there's also a built package available from slacky.eu, which is the Slackware community site.

There won't be an iso (unless someone else creates one) but I am willing to write a guide to "rolling your own".
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Stage 6 completed

I printed my first files just now. It took quite a while to get cups to work; I had to run it repeatedly in debug mode to find out which bits were missing and add them in. The funny thing is I finally succeeded without most of the packages that Crux's prt-get lists as dependencies. Makes you wonder, doesn't it!

I'm tired. I don't want to do any more of this today.

X works!

This isn't the completion of stage 7 because I am using a temporary window manager (TWM) but I can get an xterm up. Unfortunately I can't get graphical Links because the Slack version of Links hasn't been built to use X as a backend. I shall have to build my own.

ahhhn nice to hear hazel. i just logged on to see if you had any more updates. I am not familiar with slackware but use the slapt-get correct is your distro going to use the same repos?

Quote Originally Posted by champ_weller View Post
    I am not familiar with slackware but use the slapt-get correct is your distro going to use the same repos?
    Like I said before, it isn't a distro. A distro needs an installer, a stock kernel, maintained repositories, etc, etc. This is just a personal Linux project. I'm using the Slackware repository and pkgtools (not slapt-get), which seems perfectly acceptable to me as long as it is just me; if other people wanted to turn it into a distro, then I think there would be an ethical problem. Slackware is a one-man project and and chronically short of money. I don't feel it would be right to parasitise their repository.
    Last edited by hazel; 11-26-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Switching some text to a new thread

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    @Ozar Would it be an idea to have a separate thread on this question? I think it's an interesting one.
    Sure... that'll work! If you do create a new thread, please be sure to remove the question from this post so that we don't start getting answers to the same question in two different threads. Thanks.
    oz

Stage 7 completed!

I have a running Enlightenment desktop. Building E was a big multi-stage job (I used Slackbuilds which are a wonderful thing). Configuring it will be even trickier as it is utterly different from anything I have used before. And I have no apps as yet except for xterm. Adding those will be stage 8.
    Then I will tell you its name and why I built it. Stay tuned!

Smile Stage 8 completed: Welcome to Slackbody!

Yes, that's what it's called, because it's based on Slackware but has a user interface similar to Bodhi: Enlightenment, Midori and Claws-mail. It also has graphical Links (my favourite browser, but it doesn't do Java), gvim as editor (Bodhi uses leafpad), and geany as development tool. And it all fits into 2 GB.

Midori was the last thing to be installed and I had to sweat blood to get all the dependencies in. I'm using it now.

As some of you know, I had a bad experience trying to install Bodhi: this is my glorious revenge. Now I have what I wanted from Bodhi and didn't get: a sleek, small Linux with an unusual desktop

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    YAs some of you know, I had a bad experience trying to install Bodhi: this is my glorious revenge. Now I have what I wanted from Bodhi and didn't get: a sleek, small Linux with an unusual desktop
    Wow - congrats on your achievement. That deserves a

Is there anything beyond stage 8? Do you have anything else to do, or is it just maintenance now?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Glad to hear that you got it going, hazel!
    Do we get to see a screenshot of your new toy?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast