Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Having sacrificed Debian and acquired a free partition, I am now trying to build a Linux system from the bottom up. It's not Linux From Scratch because I am using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My new project

Having sacrificed Debian and acquired a free partition, I am now trying to build a Linux system from the bottom up. It's not Linux From Scratch because I am using binary packages from the Slackware repository. So far I have installed glibc, elflibs (Patrick Volkerding's collection of essential Linux libraries), coreutils and bash. And I can chroot to it !

The next stage is to install tar, xz and the Slackware package utils. This will go a little faster now that I can run the post-installation scripts in the chroot environment instead of stepping through the code by hand to avoid doing something that would screw up Crux. Once I have the package utils, I can easily install the files I think I need for booting. I shall build and install my own custom kernel.

When I have got it to boot, the next stage will be Internet access, then X and a desktop. The beauty of the whole thing is that I can do it in dribs and drabs through the winter whenever I have nothing more urgent to do. And I shall end up with a sleek, minimalist system that has nothing in it that I didn't put there deliberately, and a greatly increased knowledge of how Linux is put together.
    nujinini and Dapper Dan like this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    That sounds exciting and like lots of fun, hazel!

I like that it is using Slackware packages, too. Do keep us updated on how it's all going.
    oz

Very cool, Hazel. I've often thought about building a system completely from scratch. It'll be a one-of-a-kind system that is for sure.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Stage 2 completed!

Stage 1 was putting enough into the partition to be able to chroot to it, so that I could work safely in a sandbox. Stage 2 was adding what was needed to make the installpkg script work: tar, gzip, xz, util-linux, grep and sed. From now on all packages will be installed automatically.

Stage 3 will be building and installing a kernel, together with udev and modutils.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Just curious, hazel... are you working on a 64-bit version, 32-bit, or both for your project?
    oz

I just know you are going to succeed in this because you have the passion Hazel. All the best!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Just curious, hazel... are you working on a 64-bit version, 32-bit, or both for your project?
    Oh come on, Ozar! You know me: I'm the old curmudgeon with a prehistoric mini-tower that I bought second-hand for 30 pounds. Am I the sort of person that would be running 64-bit?
    MikeTbob and nujinini like this.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Stage 3 completed

I've installed the kernel and I can boot it to a root shell - sort of. It's a poor environment, very few devices. Obviously I haven't got my udev rules properly set up. I shall have to study the ones in Crux to find out what I need. No kernel modules loaded at all.

Stage 4 will be getting proper start-up and shut-down.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I've got the /dev thing cracked. You need one or two things in your dev directory before udev goes to work: null (which is there already), console (which you have to make with mknod) and the pts subdirectory. Also you need both proc and sysfs to be mounted.

I found this info in a Gentoo manual. I don't like the "bleeding edge" aspect of Gentoo but I can thoroughly recommend the documentation for anyone who wants to know "what's under the hood".
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I've got the /dev thing cracked. You need one or two things in your dev directory before udev goes to work: null (which is there already), console (which you have to make with mknod) and the pts subdirectory. Also you need both proc and sysfs to be mounted.

I found this info in a Gentoo manual. I don't like the "bleeding edge" aspect of Gentoo but I can thoroughly recommend the documentation for anyone who wants to know "what's under the hood".
    Amen to that, Hazel. I find the Gentoo manual useful for many things not Gentoo related. Keep up the good work, we're all still following along with you Hazel.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast