Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
(I'm not a Linux expert in fact I have only been using Linux as a dual boot for the past 2 years as ubuntu / debian based distros. Therefore there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why do you choose Linux?

(I'm not a Linux expert in fact I have only been using Linux as a dual boot for the past 2 years as ubuntu / debian based distros. Therefore there may be gaps in my Linux knowledge)

I don't see why people say that Linux is so much better than Windows when from my experiances of Linux its not even close. Don't get me wrong, I do love the idea of open source software and Linux as a concept but it just doesn't meet the needs of the average user.

Linux supports less software and the software it does have is only "as good as" or worse than Windows equivilents. A prime example would be Libre Office, Skype. need I say more?

Performance wise linux has some advantages but so does windows. Sure linux uses less ram and can probably copy a file faster but does that really matter on a home PC now with 2-3Gb ram. (I have 6Gb).

Games, they just don't work on linux. Ok there are a few exceptions but for
    the sake of splitting hairs windows takes this round.

Reliability, I find both linux and windows to be equally reliable. I never get viruses on either OS although linux has the advantage of requiring little to no maintenace. In terms of crashing I've had both OS's crash equally but more issues in linux than windows.

Even if I just want to boot up my PC (which when using a ubuntu distro, is close enough the same boot time was windows 7) and browse the web / play minecraft (java based game) I would still do better in windows since it uses less power and has better drivers.

Linux has become a lot easier to use compared to how it was near the start but it has also regressed somewhat more recently, regressions which cost Linux on the portable hardware front. (Power usage)

The only real advantages of Linux I see are; little maintence and legally free at the cost of everything else. EG Say if I want to buy a printer theres a chance it might not work on linux. On windows I can buy anything I want and it will work.

The world revolves around windows and that isn't going to change for the forseeable future, until a time comes when its viable for companys to support Linux, Linux is useless for anything other than servers and routers etc.

How would linux become profitable? Well it would need a big user base. Do you really think that that many people will put up with all the flaws of Linux long enough for it to be comercially viable?

Finally to wrap up my post I'd like to use Mac OSX as a final example. An OS backed by a company as large as Apple yet still has a much smaller software library than windows. Although it does hold some benefits over Linux such as Steam / MS Office and other companies supporting Mac as comercially viable, yet still Mac OS is not anywhere near dethroning windows.

I'm not trying to slam Linux or Mac here, but what ARE the benefits here? and why do YOU choose linux?

I use Linux because it actually works best for me.
    Quite frankly, I've never had to really jump through very many hoops to get a fast, stable fully featured system using Linux.
    I've run Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, CRUX and others before settling on Slackware.
    I'll admit that I've never run a benchmark test, but for a SWAG*, I find Linux to be far snappier and responsive than a Windows OS on the same hardware. Of course, YMMV.
    True, most games are not going to run on a Linux box, but that's the choice that the game developers made. Not a fault of Linux. But without the commercial backing of a fat pocket-book, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Linux, more profitable? Why? It's a community driven project. Kernel hackers and app developers aren't in it for the money... they just want software that does the job, and does it well.

You mention drivers and compatibility, so I'll just touch on the driver installation difference. I had to install GFX drivers and audio drivers for two fairly common cards in Windows. Took the better part of 4 hours to find them, click through and absurd number of 'I Accept' boxes, and reboot a total of 7 times to get everything working in Windows. Same machine with Mint or Slack... everything worked straight out of the box.

Linux works for me. And it works amazingly well.
    My wife prefers Windows. And she's happy with it.

So long as we all have the choice of finding something that fits our needs, I'm good with it.

*Scientific Wild Ass Guess
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post

Linux, more profitable? Why? It's a community driven project. Kernel hackers and app developers aren't in it for the money... they just want software that does the job, and does it well.
    I was referencing the fact of being profitable for software devs to support linux not profitable for actual linux development itself. Adobe have said that the photoshop user base is almost non-existent. No one will make software that doesn't have market potential and in term people arn't inclined to use an OS that doesn't have the software available.

A circle that costs Linux

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    You mention drivers and compatibility, so I'll just touch on the driver installation difference. I had to install GFX drivers and audio drivers for two fairly common cards in Windows. Took the better part of 4 hours to find them, click through and absurd number of 'I Accept' boxes, and reboot a total of 7 times to get everything working in Windows. Same machine with Mint or Slack... everything worked straight out of the box.
    From my [perspective I just headed straight to the nvidia site and used nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk Immediatly downloaded what I wanted without any CLI and restarted once. Job done

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't say that Linux is better than Windows. Both OSes have their good (and bad) points.

I use Linux because it's ideal for me. I don't play games, the software is good enough for everything I want to do, and more. LibreOffice does everything I need it to do - I don't need to pay 90 for MS Office to do a lot of things I don't need. The web browsers I use are the same as the ones I'd use on Windows. Beyond that I choose software that does the job I need to do.

I daresay that there are many examples of Windows software that are "better" than the software I use, but it doesn't matter. What I use is fine for me.

I also value the underlying philosophy of Linux.

@sayton12: You've either been really lucky or your using a really stable version Windows (i.e. XP) to not have any issues with it at all. The version of Windows i've used Vista, 7, and XP have all had there problems, stability the biggest one along with working software. I cannot count the number of times Windows has crashed or the new Windows Experience Index doesn't work. Not mentioning individual drivers or software...

I've only run Linux for just under a year and the amount of times something has gone wrong is next to nothing, often because i was messing around with a setting or trying to do something that f'd the system up.

I am not a windows hater but iam definitly not an advocate for it, i use Windows soley for PC games and nothing else. So your right their it dominates in terms of game support, but your missing the big picture, the reason Windows is worldwide like Apple and has such massive support is because of Advertising and presence in Retail stores. If neither were present in retail stores i would bet you $1,000 the amount of Mac or Windows users compared to Linux Users worldwide would be alot closer. This can be proved further just by looking at Mac OSX, look at how many years windows has had on the market without competition in retail stores, then look at how fast Mac has stolen or converted Windows users to Mac just by having that retail presence.

Then look at the people behind Windows, Linux, and Mac; Windows is run by Bill Gates a sole Bussnisman and until recently Steve Jobs who is only an innovater. It all makes a difference...

Cuz I can. For me. Necessity was the mother of invention.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux installs with a closed network. Windows has potholes.

Slight Flame/Bash alert...

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Windows has potholes.
    Really..? I never noticed.

Sorry, everybody... I had to throw one in there!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Why do I install Linux?

Because every time you install Windows, you murder a polar bear!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I'm always skeptical when I read...
    Quote Originally Posted by sayton12 View Post
    (I'm not a Linux expert in fact I have only been using Linux as a dual boot for the past 2 years as ubuntu / debian based distros. Therefore there may be gaps in my Linux knowledge)
    Followed by an opening paragraph of...

Quote Originally Posted by sayton12 View Post
    I don't see why people say that Linux is so much better than Windows when from my experiances of Linux its not even close. Don't get me wrong, I do love the idea of open source software and Linux as a concept... [the diatribe continues]
    No need to proceed...

To be brutally honest, I doubt anyone here really cares if you use GNU/Linux or not. You may see your OP as some kind of "revelation", but I've lost count of how many times I've read posts like that all coming from members who showed up and posted their "stunning revelations" as their first post. There is nothing new or groundbreaking about it, and much of it is simply based on your own misconceptions and ignorance about what free software in general is all about.

If you like windows, go and use it, but threads like this got old a long time ago.
    jayd512, rokytnji and nujinini like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast