Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Have you looked at this A suggestion to deal with Unity haters in a safer way - Ubuntu Forums Me to a T. Just my opinion though. I don't see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Have you looked at this

A suggestion to deal with Unity haters in a safer way - Ubuntu Forums

Me to a T. Just my opinion though.

I don't see any of the new Desktops contributing to getting real work done fast while eating up a computers resources (ram,cpu,and hardrive). I'm glad choice is available though for those that wish to use them though. I'm Mostly a open box type of user myself. Again, choice is there. Some like running Full Dress Motorcycles. Some like running Choppers.

Full Dressers=you can take the kitchen sink in the saddle bags and trunks.
    Choppers= you can take the kitchen sink with some creative thinking and lot's of bungi cords.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    I posted earlier in this thread regarding my own opinions of Gnome-Shell and KDE4, but today I ran across this blog article giving details about where Linux Mint is headed with the desktop for their distro. While I've never used or even tested Mint, I've got to admit that their way of thinking sounds pretty good to me:

The Linux Mint Blog Blog Archive Linux Mint 12 Preview
    oz

Just reading that article has made me a fan of the Mint devs, not sure how hard it'll be for them to implement the changes they are proposing but I think they have the mentality right "choice is best, always". Thanks for the link
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'm wondering if it's time for the Mint Devs to dump Ubuntu as a base and move fully to Debian. Additionally dumping Gnome and using their not inconsiderable skills to polish XFCE as they did with Gnome 2 would, to my mind anyway, be a good move.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Additionally dumping Gnome and using their not inconsiderable skills to polish XFCE as they did with Gnome 2 would, to my mind anyway, be a good move.
    From what I've read online, the user base for XFCE4 has grown substantially thanks to the birthing of KDE4 and Gnome3. Heck, even Linus Torvalds made the move to XFCE, or at least I read that he did. My guess is that he's more into getting work done than he is any kind of eye candy or special effects, but perhaps I'm wrong. Either way, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the Mint devs do some serious work with XFCE.
    oz

Linux Mint Devs are doing it the way the Gnome team should have done it!

They should have had the gnome 3 base with extensions that allow it to function like gnome 2, and then gradually disable those extensions by default, at a rate users are happy with, till it become what is (currently) Gnome 3's look.

If you know what i mean! (sorta like a gradual transition).

I reckon "Gnome 3 MGSE" will quickly overtake KDE4.4, Unity and Gnome 3 (traditional) desktops. I am wondering if it will eventually become a fork and just be MGSE (MGSD)?

Out of the 3 you presented: GNOME3.

I've kinda gone away and come back to Linux after a hiatus of a couple years and so much has changed. I never liked KDE too much and GNOME3 is not really to my tastes either. When I moved back to Windows, Xubuntu looked promising and I liked the interface as it ran well with my then sluggish hardware. I liked the compiz(?) graphical effects that you could get by some plugin for standard Ubuntu but my hardware couldn't really run it at the time. Now that I've got the hardware, it's just a matter it not being practical to install it as my main system and thus it still doesn't run well in a virtual environment. Thus, I like LXDE and XFCE.

If I was going to go for something with a bit of a whiz-bang, I'd definitely try out Mint, it seems the way to go and when I get around to setting up my test machine, it'll be the first distro I try out on it. In the mean time, I'm trolling them in vms.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    What I find really funny is disliking Gnomes Hell and Unity gets me branded as fearful of change. To which I always enjoy pointing out that: I am not anti-change but I am pro-gress (see what I do there)

Anyway, while the Mint team may well be doing what the Gnomes Hell team should have done, they are still polishing a turd.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

rofl elija (literally) so true! but for some reason whenever i read it i always think of some guy sitting in his lounge room chair with a giant turd on his lap and a polishing cloth, vigorously trying to make what just isn't shiny, shiny!

No, hating gnome 3 and Unity isn't hating change, its hating impracticality!

Although i do question why people hate Unity just a little, while it is Gnome 3 at its heart, it isn't that bad. Sometimes i wonder if people hate unity just because they can't move the launcher bar!

What I don't understand is why the concept was based of a more Mac OSX and Windows 7 infatuation?

The result is what they got, It's more like the retarded offspring of a Mac OSX and a Windows 7 Desktop! You get a single task bar at the top of the screen! As it's the only thing both can pass on that's not a recessive gene! Icons don't count because both (GUI's) can optionally turn it off, in this case because its an option it no longer exists! Natural evolution decided its obsolete!

Maybe the next desktop will be all icons and no taskbar, "Emong" (Gnome backwards) it other possible evolutionary decision. The second child to Mac OSX and Windows 7!
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 11-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    It seems like a lot of Linux users have been really shaken up over the last few years with the likes of GRUB2, Gnome3, KDE4, and Unity. I'm personally looking forward to the time when things feel a little more normal once again, if that time should ever come.
    oz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast