Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Originally Posted by ozar It seems like a lot of Linux users have been really shaken up over the last few years with the likes of GRUB2, Gnome3, KDE4, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    It seems like a lot of Linux users have been really shaken up over the last few years with the likes of GRUB2, Gnome3, KDE4, and Unity. I'm personally looking forward to the time when things feel a little more normal once again, if that time should ever come.
    Sorry to say but I think those days are long gone. It seems to me that change is the new "normal". I'm still a KDE user for 97% of the time. XFCE & Fluxbox the rest of the time.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I was thinking the same thing.
    To me, it seems like the dev teams are looking to , ahem, modernize the look of the Linux desktop.
    Unfortunately, I can see some of them going down the same path as the Windows or OSX UI... alot of flashy pretty shiny.

The strange thing is that even though I don't prefer the new look of Gnome or KDE, the layout might actually be more comfortable to some of those looking to switch over.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

The good old days are gone for good... personally I dislike too much bling, but if there is a bit of "shiny" and it's tasteful shiny I can live with it... mac osx style docks, netbook/tablet/smartphone style UIs, or any kind of huge panel thing with massive buttons for that matter, get a huge no from me. KDE and Xfce haven't introduced any crap like that and allow the user a lot of flexibility, so they get my vote for now.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    The good old days are gone for good... personally I dislike too much bling, but if there is a bit of "shiny" and it's tasteful shiny I can live with it... mac osx style docks, netbook/tablet/smartphone style UIs, or any kind of huge panel thing with massive buttons for that matter, get a huge no from me. KDE and Xfce haven't introduced any crap like that and allow the user a lot of flexibility, so they get my vote for now.
    I agree, I have "blinged up" my LMDE XFCE desktop with Mint Menu, Compiz Fusion and Emerald. Just enough for me Click the image for the full size version.

Yeah XFCE can look as good and slick as Gnome 2

rokytnji likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    I used to use Gnome-shell

Is the mint style menu available to Red Hat based distro's or at least the source to compile it??

What distro r u using elija?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Linux Mint Debian Edition with XFCE. Mint Menu is written in Python so you should be able to install it. The code might need a bit of tweaking in places, for running things as root and so on.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I have three version of Kubuntu installed at present, 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 (pre-alpha).

Over the past few weeks I've installed and used for day or two the latest version of the following:-

Ubuntu with Gnome Shell and Unity
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu
    Kubuntu

They all have their good points but I keep coming back to Kubuntu and KDE 4.7.3. I find Kubuntu to be the most stable with the best applications. I just couldn't get along with Gnome Shell and Unity kept crashing leaving me without a top panel and launcher. I also didn't like the way it liked to open all applications maximised. I'm sure a lot of the bugs will be fixed when the next version is released though.

I've never quite liked KDE, can live with, but don't care for gnome 3, and have never tried enlighten. When my Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported, I guess I will switch to Lubuntu. Bling doesn't impress me, I want function not flashing lights eye candy.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Enlightenment is good, but i rarely see it compiled in an OS to just install like the others. Which makes it a bit more of a hassle to get working! they have like 10 tarballs you need before you can compile it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast