Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Opinion anyone? I'm running all three and wanted to know if anyone has any opinions...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome-Shell vs. KDE 4.4 Vs. Unity

Opinion anyone? I'm running all three and wanted to know if anyone has any opinions
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

oz
    forum.guy
    Not a huge fan of Gnome-Shell or KDE4. I've not tried Unity, but from what I've read about it, I see no reason to think I'd like it any better than the other two.

That said, I'm sure that any of them would get me by if there were no other choices available to me.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    XFCE all the way but Unity is way better than Gnomes Hell. Never been a fan of KDE but I think I'd prefer it over both.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I use Unity most of the time. Occasionally I boot into Gnome Shell. I must say I much prefer Unity. I've not much experience of KDE so can't comment.

At the end of the day there's a lot of choice and we can all use whichever we prefer. I guess for those who want a Gnome 2-like experience XFCE is the way to go. LXDE is worth a look, but there's much more for those with the time (or inclination to look).

Just Joined!
    Well I'm not a expert, but not a big fan of Gnome<<had lot's of practice installing it 23 times in 1 year.
    KDE I'm using now has worked great except for the wireless which was a easy fix.
    Unity I have never tired yet, but is on my list of next install, will be fun to find out just how good it is.

I found Gnome 3 a pain in the arse to use, could never find anything really easy lol like 20 billion menus to go through. I love Gnome 2 though, its my fav.
    I haven't tried the latest KDE.
    The Unity desktop in my opinion is much easier to navigate then Gnome 3. There Dock-like side bar makes it easy to add your most used programs to it, so you don't need a search party to find the program. If Unity added like a file menu or something to make it easy to navigate through the OS or even allowed the top panel to be customizable along with what is now currently there programs menu (the ubuntu laucher), it would easily top Gnome 3. I would then consider replacing Gnome 2 with the Unity Desktop instead of XFCE once Gnome 2 kicks the bucket.

Linux Enthusiast
    I use KDE currently at 4.6 (I used to use CDE on HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, and AIX systems a long time ago) and I keep both Gnome and XFCE as backups. I run GenToo and never install new copies of my "gui desktop" at the same time (sort-a-like a rescue desktop) so that I can still use a desktop environment when a compile fails in one. However, being a long time Unix user that never has used a Windows machine (or Mac for that matter), I use the "desktop" differently than others that I know. One of my co-workers was running gnome (her preferred it his "desktop" environment) just switched to KDE 4.6 this last week. I have played with Unity but I do not like it at all.

Just Joined!

Choosing between the least undesirable

This Desktop fiasco has become similar to discussions of political philosophies between conservatives and liberals. Those of us who strongly oppose the Gnome-Shell or Unity Desktops, preferring the Gnome 2 look and feel, are accused of being resistant to change promoting it as progress. In reality we are quite supportive of change, but recognize it as progress only when some positive gains can be recognized. In Gnome 2 the ability to make changes I desired were many, and changes were made as I felt necessary. Gnome-Shell and Unity, while creating a new choice of Desktop for users, has done so at the cost of removing what appeared to be one of the most desirable choices implemented by Linux users regardless of which distribution they installed. As a result many of us are having to search for replacement distributions who might exert the effort required to maintain the Desktop look and feel that we have become accustomed to using and has provided the ease and efficiency to accomplish our work through changes we have made over the years to our Desktops.

Unity would be fine if I were working with a small screen hand held device, but I'm not, and while my Desktop may look quite confusing to others, it works very efficiently for me along with my multiple workspaces in accomplishing the tasks important to me.

Thanks for all the input. I find all of them to not be great at this point. I've never found KDE to be user friendly, it's so much like Windows and a lot of the time just the choice of words for menus becomes confusing and impossible to find. One example would be power options not containing all of the options which would traditionally be found in power options. Unity has a ton of bugs and I think is at least a year from running smooth, also looks like a child's computer. Gnome-Shell look is sweet but also have found some bugs, and they've taken away a lot of the ability to customize which I don't appreciate. I do like some of Ubuntu's choices lately, including getting rid of Mono library (for 12.04) and the choice to use LightDM which is customizable.

Overall I'm not incredibly happy with any of the main choices so will be looking at others. I'm not a minimalist guy for DE's so I don't want to switch to XFCE, Englithenment was too confusing/buggy, so I'm out looking around for options. Also we're having a nightmare time getting any of the new ones to run on my wife's Dell Mini (despite it originally coming with Ubuntu....go figure that now Ubuntu 11.10 fails on it, Ubunty 11.04 is buggy as hell, Gnome-Shell fails to load on it, etc...).
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Personally I don't find KDE at all "windows like"... I see some people posting that a lot and I just don't see the similarities beyond the few basic things which make all GUIs similar. By default there is a panel at the bottom, whereas with gnome the panel is usually at the top, this can be moved on both DEs (I prefer my panel at the top) - this also applies to IceWM, Xfce, LXDE, etc. Both gnome and KDE have some kind of root menu or button on the far left hand side of a horizontally placed panel, like a "start menu". So in those respects, most if not all DEs are probably "windows like". If you want something very unlike windows, then fluxbox or openbox might be an option.

Of all the DEs I prefer KDE 4.x and Xfce 4.x in equal measure, though I lean slightly more towards KDE these days. I am currently running KDE 4.6.5 Slackware 13.37 and it's pretty solid, fast and responsive.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast