Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday in the BBC news, there was an item on malware apps for Android smartphones. For example, you download something that promises to save on battery power and it phones ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Android and security

Yesterday in the BBC news, there was an item on malware apps for Android smartphones. For example, you download something that promises to save on battery power and it phones home to a premium-rated phone line and racks up an enormous bill.

I am puzzled because Android is a form of Linux, and we Linux users are always boasting about how secure Linux is and how hard it is for malware to do anything seriously harmful to your system. Why is Android so vulnerable?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Because like most successful attacks, they attack the carbon interface
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I heard from a speaker in one of the forums I attended that android per se is not pure bred linux system. Linux is just deep down the system and the developers made their own android libs on top of it.

The only mobile OS that can boast of being a "pure bred" linux beast is the MEEGO. Linux from top to bottom.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

oz
    forum.guy
    Hazel, not sure if it has any relation to what you mentioned above, but here's more info for you regarding another security issue with some Android and other devices:

CarrierIQ Rootkit Found on Android

Statements Regarding CarrierIQ from Carriers, Device Makers

This has been getting lots of attention the last few days.
    oz

Android is not Linux at all. Android is powered by Linux kernel-2.6.32.9 (mine is anyway). In all actuality, Android is a complete OS much like Linux, Windows and Mac. If you download and run nefarious software on any OS, you'll get the same result. It's a bit worse with Android because of Cell phones that have GPS functions that can pinpoint your location to within a few feet.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Not only that, but with all of the services running for GPS, text, application updates and everything else, it's gotta be that much easier to write a piece of malware to exploit those vulnerabilities.
    Add that to the fact that most smartphone users are going to tap the 'Okay' button without a second thought.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You really don't even need to install anything on a cell phone. Android, Iphones and others are still being tracked without their consent.
    Mall owners pull plug on cellular tracking, for now
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.