Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
I switched to linux because it was not main stream and required lots of work to set up. I like to break my system then fix it again...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I switched to linux because it was not main stream and required lots of work to set up. I like to break my system then fix it again
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Just Joined!
    WGS84 phi = 45 48 31.7 lambda = 15 57 49.0
    let me just say that my head did hurt alot while i was using winblows, on a good day computer was restarted at least 5 times, and that was on a good day...

nowdays, i am happy very happy, using slackware10

Just Joined!
    unusally i came from RISC OS (well one win 98 machine to known i didn't like M$ ) looking for an OS which didn't crash when asked to do things harder then opening f@#%&*** a word doc (sorry i'm doing win 98 testing at work today and its already crashed twice ).
    Some one just happened to mention Linux in my IT class and that it came!! with free compilers and was itself free.
    Ive stuck by it ever since (6 years?) and found using it was a big boost to my undustanding for computer science degree.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'd been using PCs for years and never heard of Linux until I started university. As I learned more about it my interest grew. I have a big interest in different operating systems and their development so I felt like trying something different. One of my friends recommended that I try Slackware so I put it on my tower along with Windows XP Pro as a dual boot.

I was very impressed with the look and feel of it and how much fsoftware came with the OS. I started to experiment with system configs and all sorts of other stuff. Eventually I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.7 and automatically noticedc the difference. More recently I've also set up a dual boot with Slack 10 and XP Pro on my laptop aswell. I also have Knoppix 3.6 for emergencies.

Eventually I'm going to start doing all my Java and ANSI/ISO C++ programming in Linux. Using Slackware, I'm also teaching myself Bash, Python and Tcl/Tk (all of which I'm also only going to do on Linux). I'm going to teach myself Perl, PHP and C at some point aswell (all of which I'm going to do on Linux).

Even though I'll set up Mono I'll probably still do most of my C# work in XP. I'll also keep MySQL work in XP, along with VB, ASP.NET (eventually) and all other .NET work.

I want to get into programming extensions for KDE, using NCURSES and using tools like Qt for interface design. I'll do web design in both OSs and play most of the complex games in Windows (not that I play many nowadays anyway). At the moment my internet work is confined to Windows, but if I can finally get the configuration sorted I'll use Linux for that too.

I've been using Linux for a while now and as you may tell I'm a big fan of it, but am not ready to give up Windows yet because they both have their benefits and I want the best of both worlds.

Linux Newbie
    Well a guy I knew put unix on my system. I loved it after I learned it. In 95' I installed by my self Red Hat. I was so proud! If you ever have the chance try RH 2.0 or 5.0 and then install FC3 and see how far they have come.

Linux Engineer
    I've been using Windows since... too long now. I got pretty good at it. The thing I dont like about windows, it that I have a software to control .exe/.dll usage, firewall, Anti-Virus, all kinds of different software only to mkae this damn things work properly...
    Linux, in the other hand, is reliable even when you mess around with it. Stability is in the state of mind of linux
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    First and foremost, anything to avoid paying the M$ tax!

Actually, my first brief experiements with Linux were quite a long time ago. RH version older-than-everything. Just being geeky, lots of trial and error, but eventually had it up, dialed out to my ISP, and browsing the web without using a single M$ product. I was tickled pink.

For about 5 minutes anyway.

Because, you see, all my data that I needed was still over there in Windoze.

Fast forward to that wonderful day when I could finally get broadband at the house.

Linux had come a long way during that period, and downloading ISOs was no longer a weekend killing prospect. Suddenly, it was a lot easier to satisfy Linux curiosity! Just roll my own CDs of whatever distro looked promising and have at it.

Without the broadband to get the lastest stuff, and the amazing strides in open source since those first experiments, I probably would still have Linux in my "maybe someday I'll try it again" column.

But having found a distro I can work with, and finding more and more pieces to the puzzle of getting at the data originally created using M$ stuff, Windoze is slowly but surely getting relegated to irrelevance.

Linux got far enough along to where this dummy could use it. But there was a lot of technology that had to get better along with it before it got feasible for me to even try to play with it.

So, it's all a vast continuum, you see.

Xko
    Just Joined!
    Hmmm a couple of resons for me...

1) Simple curiousity, i wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

2) The Open Source community (much friendlier!)

3) The cost of Linux vs. Windows (just look at Office!)

4) Having used windows for years, infact it's all i've ever used i wanted a change, to try something new!

I would have to say exactly what Xko wrote down. That applies to my special situation to switch to linux. :P

Just Joined!
    like Xko said, just a change of pace was a big factor to me

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast