Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by daemonOS Well a guy I knew put unix on my system. I loved it after I learned it. In 95' I installed by my self Red Hat. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by daemonOS
    Well a guy I knew put unix on my system. I loved it after I learned it. In 95' I installed by my self Red Hat. I was so proud! If you ever have the chance try RH 2.0 or 5.0 and then install FC3 and see how far they have come.
    I've looked in vain everywhere, but the earliest version I can find is 6.2 which, considering how old it is, is very impressive. I'd love to look at even earlier versions of RH. You know where I can download them?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Red Hat 6.2 was the first time I ever used Linux ... man .. it was a challenge to get anything to work especially cause I had a very unstandard system with cheapo parts from anonymous manufacturers... good times

years later I almost cried at how Mandrake made everything so transparent .. mandrake's installer has always picked up ALL the hardware which is something not even Windows can say (given than the system was built for windows)

Almost cried meaning it is a good thing right?

I use mandrake linux cause it's the version i got from a friend. And i haven't been home too much to start like really digging into new systems. I would like to try some others to see which one gets around. But for now, mandrake allows me to learn all the commands, while giving me the flexibility on hardware and config that a newbee needs.

I've heard so many opinions. I guess whichever distro you use, that's the one you think is the best. BTW, i don't think i would ever go back to windows.

Just Joined!
    being a mac os x user i thought linux would be fun to try. so installed on my server, and like it a bunch. mac os x remians my all time fav os though

Just Joined!
    I would say curiousity . and now i dont know why i used MS for so long

jvx
    Just Joined!
    the main reason was, that you can't have a windows box more than 6 month, cos after that time, it just get's so sloooooow, and making it run fast again is a very slow procedure too, and besides, those adwares just get you after some time.
    so one day i tried the cure - llinux (actually first os after win was BeOS, but it had limited drivers for my system).
    after a few days of using linux, the win xp got uninstalled, and linux got the full hdd!
    first linux was fedora core 1, and from that time i have used many distros after that time, and stopped with on Fedora Core 3, it's like a dream come true for me : )
    sorry for the long text and/or my bad english, thanks for reading

-EDIT-
    correction of mistakes

Just Joined!
    At first I got interested in Linux just for the learning experience. My goal with computers is to know everything to the greatest detail about how they work. I know that an operating system like Linux is infinately better for that then Windows. I'm also getting into programming. Why would I not want a system where I can read the source to everything.

The security rocks, but it isn't why I'm interested. The stability rocks, but it's not why I'm interested. And the speed is great, but again, it's not why I'm interested.

In the past month, my reasons have changed slightly. I'm still into Linux for the geekery, but Windows has agrivated thoroughly. Basically, I'm tired of having to constantly check scans, processes, folders, and everything else just to keep the system from screwing itself up. I do it enough on my own. Sometimes, I need to get something done, and I don't want to be bothered with anything else.

With Linux, after everything is actually set up, I only have to worry about screwing it up myself. I'm sure I will quite often, but that'll only be when I'm playing with it and in the mood.

My two cents.
    Josh

Linux Enthusiast
    Same here- I love being the only thing that will screw it up. Great (or maybe bad) example is when I wrote a script and screwed it up, and accidently wiped every non-folder file in the /root directory...
    I especially like being able to customize things by installing them from source, which is why I want to try Gentoo.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    I've never been much of a M$ fan (at least before Win2K and XP). I was
    always a mac user, but after using the CDE desktop environment
    running on AIX, I fell in love with Unix. Linux was free and the whole
    open source aspect of it just made sense to me. What's better than an
    entire community that wants nothing more than to help each other and
    develop free software that's good for everyone? I like how the user
    really has a hand in how his/her system runs behind all the eye candy
    of a desktop environment.
    Plus, I've always been a 'tinkerer' and love to try new things with computers.
    Learning Linux was the next logical step I guess. And even though I have OS X
    installed on my Powerbook, Linux has become my mobile and desktop OS of
    choice on my PPC and x86 machines. And the added bonus of having 2
    different architectures that run the same OS is nice as well.
    J

I already posted why i turned to linux. But on a personal quote, i actually feel that i will get to love linux more than i do now when i get to dominate it and not get dominated by it. This may sound ridiculous to all of you that already know like too much. But hey, you also started like kinda running in the dark, until everything came clear and you saw the light. I actually deleted my shindows partition and now i'm all alone with mdk. I am not really afraid but there are somethings still missing that i need, like learning better the command line, learning how to install and uninstall apps, controlling my firewall and overall security. It's a long journey ahead of me, but i am fully charging forward.

BTW, props to all of you who really know what you're talking about.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast