Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
...apart from not liking M$ Windows. I was just wondering why people changed to linux at the time they did, the only reason I've now got linux is that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why did you switch to linux?

...apart from not liking M$ Windows.

I was just wondering why people changed to linux at the time they did, the only reason I've now got linux is that I was bored over the summer hoildays and wanted something to do, so I installed a new OS, and its the best thing I ever did
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

well i had windows xp but it got a virus (more like virii) and i had lent the winxp disk to a friend. i hadn;t seen him for a while so i couldnt reinstall windows. i was realy worried since i usualy need my computer on the spurr of the moment so i saw the red hat 9 box laying ontop of my computer from a curiosity period a long time ago. never went back since.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

More than anything else, one issue skewed me off of MS Windows: Windows Product Activation.

I change my hardware a LOT (at least twice a month), and I got tired of having to call up Microsoft every time I swapped out a drive just to get their "blessing".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    At first I installed Linux out of curiosity, and since then I've gradually moved to Linux as I learned how to use it. I've purposely played with many settings on Linux (broke it a few times too) just to learn about it. I did that on windows too, but it's MUCH more fun (and useful) on Linux.

I'm also very intent on fixing problems myself, I only ask questions when I can't figure it out at all, but then I expect answers that work. With windows, I usually already tried everything (and then some) that tech support could suggest when I called them. On Linux, other users (like on these forums) actually have answers for the more advanced problems, and it's much easier to fix Linux anyways because the system is open rather than hiding everything.

I especially liked the use of the command line, as it's so much more powerful under Linux (big understatement). Customization especially (something I couldn't do much of in windows) is amazing. Add that to the fact that I can run more apps at the same time, almost never need to reboot, have less background CPU usage, never need to defrag, very difficult to corrupt filesystem, symbolic linking , have virtual desktops, and have access to so much internal information... Well, you get the idea.

The advantages of Linux far outweigh the time spent learning a new system, especially since it's so much more friendly to the user. (whoever said windows is user-friendly never thought about when windows doesn't work and no one knows why, not even the programmer, or all the shareware/registration crap. Windows is proprietary friendly, not user-friendly)
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    I first switched cause I was being geeky back when I was 16.

Now I'm using it seriously to gain a thorough understanding of it because I'm interesting in using Linux as part of engineering management systems.

Linux Enthusiast
    Same here, except I am 16, and I'm leaning a bit more towards admin/system analysis right now.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

I never heard of Linux till I got a job for a company that put email on airplanes. I was a desktop support person when hired. I then got promoted to NOC really because they had no one else at the time. I was hired to monitor production servers. The company used linux to monitor everything 24-7. I learned a lot the first couple of weeks of working there and I found out how powerfull these machines were and fast. IN the noc my machine was Freebsd we had a caldera box and and a red hat box at the time. Ever since then I only use linux except for integration and test purposes. I am really shocked more people don't. I was shocked at how little people use it at work reading another thread here in the Coffee Lounge.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

One day some years ago I was surfing (on the internet not on the water). Suddenly I noticed that I had come upon a site with the words "linux suck less than windows".
    Then I didn't hesitate a second, so I downloaded Slackware, burned it and formatted my whole drive without backing up any data, installed Slackware and lived happily ever after.

Just Joined!
    This semester, I took a class in which we worked on UNIX (except it was actually Linux, just without the GUI), so I got interested becuase I'd never really heard of Linux before (except Red Hat, which I looked at before, but I just thought it was an OS in itself, not a type of an OS), and I didn't really like Gates, Microsoft, or Windows, so I got curious, bought a book about Linux (Linux For Non-Geeks from No Starch Press, which I highly reccomend for newbies) that came with FC1. I installed it as a dual-boot, slowly stopped using Windows, and then deleted it. Now I have FC1 and about 15 Gigs of empty Hard drive space, which I plan to install Gentoo on tonight (hopefully).

Linux Newbie
    my friend had told me about linux and i had actually used linux. I had liked the speed and overall durability of the system, and how it utilizes the entire system itself. I also wanted to try it and i stuck with it.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast